1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suburban Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Ryan4x, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Ryan4x

Ryan4x Junior Member

:help: Hello folks, I am a bit green to this forum, but not to plowing and Chevy trucks. I got a simple question for those of you have been plowin' with the old heavy chevy's. I have a Caterpillar Yellow 1988 Chevy Suburban w/ a TBI 350, TH400, NP241, Corp 10 bolt (HD) front, SF 14 Rear with a Powertrax Locker and 3.73's in both axles. Its got about 5 in of lift, all leaf sprung, no body lift and I'm running 33x12.5.15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. I've been plowing commercial lots for 6 years with company trucks (from hammered 1/2 tons to shiny 1 tons) and was asked if I would sub myself to my company with the Burb. My Question is how well will it do with an old school Fisher 8 ft SD ?
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

It will take alot of fab work to the plow mount to make the a-frame sit level to the ground. If you can fab something up, go for it. Otherwise, keep this thing for your mudder and go buy yourself a cheap plow truck
  3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Baja Claws are awful in the snow. Sp just get a sdet of narrow aggressive tires on stock rims for plowing. That will bring the height down some, then just drop the Old conventional Fisher to the last hole and it will cut nice. Back when I had solid axle trucks I always had a four inch lift with 35/12.50s, then put 265/75/16 on for plowing. Couple times I switched back too soon and had to plow with the 35s. Wasn't unbearable, but wide tires suck in the snow, no matter what they are. And oh yeah, Baja Claws suck in the snow. I don't mean off road wheeling in snow, I mean driving and pushing plowed snow.
    Other than that, the lift won't hurt you and the sub is a good plow truck, as long as you get used to the visibility issues.
  4. Ryan4x

Ryan4x Junior Member

Thanks for your input guys, if I do plow with my Suburban I"ll probably throw on a set of good 31's, again thanks for the input. :bluebounc