1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

suburban or excursion??????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johngus, Aug 31, 2002.

1. johngus

johngus Senior Member

I'm thinking of buying a new truck.With a new son born last week I think it's time to trade the pickup for an SUV.I've been looking at 2500 suburbans and ford excursions.What would you guys buy for your plow truck.?I'm gonna put my 7.5 meyers from my dodge on th e new truck.Would you reccomend a pre 2000 sub. or go with 2000 up?I'm new to this IFS front suspensions but after checking the search feature,people say the GM has a higher FGVW.Is this true.The local dealer has some 99 2500 subs at a resonable price,low 20's.Thanks for any repliies.What are any thoughts about a 1500 suburban???

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i have a 1997' 2500 suburban 7.4ltr. with the 8' ultramount and love it

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

what about a 4 door silverado 2500HD?

4. johngus

johngus Senior Member

I waslooking at crew cab pickups,problem is the used market is non exhistant here and new is out of my budget.

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The front axle on the Excursion is the same one used on the F-550 with different gears, brakes, wheels & tires. The 550 is rated for 17,500 gvw, I don't have the front axle specs handy. I crawled under both my 350 and 550 side by side, the part numbers on the housing and steering components are the same.

I'm not sure how Ford figures out their weight rating system, the F-250 and F-350 are identical trucks, the 350 just has some added spacers for more clearance and a higher price tag. Whatever the rating is on the Excursion, you can be sure it will handle more.

That 7 1/2' plow won't cut it with the Excursion, though, it's a wide truck. The Chevy's narrower and would probably work better with that plow. Meyers aren't too heavy anyway.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2002
  6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

just becuase it has the sa part number on the axle doesn't meen anthing the springs or torsion bars are not the same and that is what holds the axle on. you need to look at the door and find the rated front axle capacity. FYI my 8 foot is not recommended for my vehicle they said to go with a 7 1/2' but the 8 footer only weighed 15 pounds more and i decided i did not want to leave tracks inthe snw when turning

7. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

I own a 02 Excursion limited 4x4, PSD, that I will be installing a 8.5 poly Meyer on. We upgraded from a 4700# front leaf spring assembly to a 6000#(X spring). Also added 1 leaf to rear to create a "level" ride. The Excursion has a firm ride, which I personally love!

It is a fantastic truck!

I bought the Excursion to be my wife's personal vehicle(see what I had to make myself believe to finally get the Excursion..Ha Ha Ha!). We are also going to set up a Snowman pull plow mount so we can switch a (1)-8' Snowman back plow between 2 Ford trucks = versatility.

My philosophy is to create my lifestyle into my work environment, this way I can maximize my capital for greater financial returns!

ChicagoSnow

8. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

I love my Excursion PSD also,called the dealer and he recomends I put a 8'6" Fisher V. I really want a Blizzard 810,maybe with the upgrades I can go with the Blizzard.

Good Luck

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Mike, I don't see why you couldn't put the 810 on your Excursion. I put Timbrens on my 350 to lessen the front end sag, that plow assembly weighs 1000 lbs. The Timbrens also improved the handling without the plow by stiffening the front suspension.

10. johngus

johngus Senior Member

Hey Pelican,I can't see how an F350 and 550 share the same front axle.Does'nt the 350 only have a dana 50?If a 550 only has a dana 50 it doesn't say much for Ford.Maybe they share the same housing but I hope for your sake the 550 is heavier duty.Especially yours,it looks awesome from the pictures!!!!!!!Good luck with it!!!!I'm probably gonna end up with a suburban as they are much more affordable at this time.The Excursions are still selling for $30G+ for 2000's.Anyone else out there with Suburbans withany input it would be much appreciated!!!!Do the GM trucks have any front end problems with the IFS?????

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Dana 60 in the Front end of all SD as far as I know and can tell from the spec sheets.

12. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Pelican,
    The front axle on the excursion isn't really the same as that
    on a F550
    the Excursion has a Dana 50 up front
    the F550 has a Dana 60
    Now the 02 F250's and F350's do have the same axle as the F550's
    and the F250 & F350's with the plow pkg. have the same springs
    as the F550
    the big difference would be the tires
    the F450 and F550's ride on 19.5 tires that have allot higher
    load rating then the 16"
    The front ends on F550 GVWR is 6000
    and the F250 & F350's is rated at 5200
    It's funny Ford rates the Dana 50 at 5200 also
    and the Dana 60 in a F250 & F350 is also rated at 5200
    it just shows the limiting factor for the GVWR is the load rating on the tires.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2002
  13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Thanks Manx, that was pretty much my point. The axles themselves are capable of more than they are rated for, which should make for a stout front end. The difference in internals are the gears, my 550 has 4.88s vs. 3.73 in the 350.

It does seem strange to me that they would use an axle exclusive to the Excursion, I wouldn't think it would make economic sense as far as tooling and shipping would be concerned.

14. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Thanks for all the info on the Fords.

In the past I have been disappointed with the F250's PSD and looking at the F350's this year (all single wheel). What I am gathering from all the info here is that the F250 and F350 are real similar not like the older ones ('97 F250 PSD)?

Not that we had any problems with our '97,but she looks a little saggy when we hang our 9' Boss V on her.

Thanks

15. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

very true. Pre Super Duty F250 PSDs had the TTB front end. With the weight of a diesal often sag or have front end problems.

16. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Pelican,
    Starting in 02 they put the Dana 60 in the F250
    before that it had the Dana 50 like the Excursion
    And the 4.88 gears are only in the F450-F550's
    the F250-F350 Diesels only get the 3.73
    gassers can get 3.73,4.10 or 4.30 gears
    I know I can't figure that one out

And Mike
    Now days the F250 and F350 are really the same truck
    starting in 02 the difference between the two is
    The F250 has 2" block in the back and the F350 has a 4" block
    the GVWR is different because of the tires that come on them
    as standard equipment
    the F350 has 265/75-16 which are load rated for 3415
    and the F250 has 235/85-16 which are load rated for 3042
    But most F250's have the larger tires as a option (it's about 100)
    but when the trucks were certified they went by standard equipment
    So one is a GVWR 8,800 and the other is 9,900
    But they have the same frame,brakes & axles nowadays

It's allot stronger front end then the pre-SD
    In a F250 now days with the plow pkg
    It's the same axle & springs as the F350,F450 & F550
    the tires are the weak point nowdays

17. johngus

johngus Senior Member

it's amazing on this site how we lose track of the original post.i was just looking for some info on 2 trucks and we got on this whole f350/550 dispute.Its funny how that happens.Anyone ever put a plow on a suburban 1500.They're very plentiful on every car lot,the 2500's are a bit more scarce.Thanks for any help.:) :)

18. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Personely the thought of putting a plow on a excursion is just to much to take. (I't s just to nice)

19. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The way I see it, all the information provided here should help you with your decision. Your original post showed your concern for front end durability. I think we've shown you how that shouldn't be a concern with the Excursion.

Don't let fact that there's only one response from the "other side" let you think we're drifting. I guess we could be considered enthusiasts...:nod:

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Johngus,

Search a little further and look for a K2500 Suburban. They have the same undercarriage as their 3/4T pickup chassis. I would steer away from the K1500 Sub. Just too much weight to begin with on a Sub. They will be a good plow truck. Short wheelbase, and HEAVY! You can pickup a Late 90's Diesel Sub for around $20K. When loaded they were in the $40's new! Lots of features on a Sub that weren't available to the pickups!

My Dad's got a '95 K2500 Turbo Diesel Sub thats pushing 300hp. Lots of fun to drive, and 18+ MPG isn't hard to swallow!