1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suburban Back Door Stuck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Wally3128, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

Don't know what happened.Took the kids to the Airport, took out the luggage, closed the side by side back doors.

Got home, went to the store and cannot open the back doors again!! They are unlocked. What went wrong, and how to fix it???

Help Please, going on vacation in a week and do not want to throw luggage over the back seats!

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Need a little more info Wally. Does the handle do nothing? Do you feel any resistance when you press the button in? If you manually move the door lock, can you hear clicking? Does it seem like the lock is working?

I think the easiest thing to do would be pull the interior door panel and have a look. See if any of the rods fell off the latch or handle mechanisms.

~Chuck

3. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply Chuck,

Seems like the lock is working. Feel only slight resistance when pushing the button. My guess is that a Rod came loose or somthing BROKE:cry: .

Is there a way to open the door so I can work on it outside?
    It is getting too hot to work on it inside the back!!

4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

latches

If you are having trouble with the upper and lower latch assemblies I have a new pair that I was going to use on a 78 surburban but the truck rusted out on me

5. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

Thank you friend, but I think my prob is in the connection rods. Just having trouble getting to them!

6. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

Fellas...Got it fixed!:D

Got the wife to push on the door from the outside, while I pulled up on the rod that links to the bottom latch. Once the pressure was off the door, it poped right open.

The rod came off the conector. I put it back on, and it worked fine. Then I closed the door. Poped off again. HEY...there is to be somthing holding it on there. Shure enough, looked inside again and there is a little plastic keeper that slips around the rod. Put the keeper back around the rod...FINISHED.

Fixed a Dishwasher and Suburban in the same day!!!

Thanks for all your help!!

7. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

retaining clip

Those clips used to be made of steel