1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

suburban 2500 temperture???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by johngus, Jan 13, 2003.

1. johngus

johngus Senior Member

i recently bought a 1999 suburban 2500 with the 454.my question is how hot should the engine run at?It goes to about 220 when stopped at a light and then drops down to a little lower than 210 while driving.i replaced the thermostat and it is the same.Could it be the fan clutch?the fan seems to be turning at idle and is drawing air from the radiator,maybe not enough??any suggestions or is this normal with the big block trucks?i'm a little worried that I may have problem when I need to plow.
  2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

there has been alot of talk about this. My 90' with a 454 runs at 210 all the time and my 02' w/8.1L runs around 215. My father-in-laws 92 454 runs 215 most of the time. I have noticed that all the BB's i have owned or have drove run warmer than a 350. I don't know why that is and have never had a problem running that temp.
  3. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

same here

see post on 2500 hd overheating