1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

subs or more trucks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sectlandscaping, Dec 12, 2011.

1. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

So I have 1 sub that I worked with before and started looking for another to lighten the load of work. I talked to a few people but you never know if they will show. One guy told me you should never plow in 4wd. It ruins the drive train, so that guy is gone. I do get away with 4hi but still that just sounds ********.

I been looking for another truck but its not the time of year. I dont want to get a beater thats only going to last this season but that might still be cheaper then giving a sub a lot of work. I thought about a newer truck but I never liked the borrowing thing. I prefer to have everything paid for. The pros of that is if I continue to grow ill have the truck for years.

So what do you think get a sub? a beater? overpriced truck? or go new?
  2. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I'd go with another sub if you can.

Currently I have one. Another small business owner just like me.
    Works out great for both of us and I don't have the over head of another truck, ins etc.
  3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You fired him because he said you should avoid 4wd when plowing? Not sure about never, but you should avoid it when you can.
  4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Buy a new truck or newer used truck. Keep the work in house.
  5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I would have to agree. I only use 4wd when I am stuck to get out of what I am stuck in.
  6. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

Didnt fire him but I didnt hire him. I have him in my contacts if needed. I dont get how it will hurt the truck. I usually lock the hubs and if I need traction go to 4hi. I never heard you should completely avoid 4wd.
  7. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

If you weren't supposed to ever be in 4WD, they wouldnt put it on trucks.
    True the longer you keep a truck in 4WD the quicker some front end/drive train components may wear. But that's price of having a 4WD.
    I personally won't use 4WD until I have to...but that also means I don't beat the crap out of my truck in 2 wheel....