1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subs--Insurance

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Snow-Con, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Snow-Con

Snow-Con Member

Okay...so I'm talking about subbing for a guy I know. I personally have full insurance plus a million dollar liablility.

I assume he (since he's a fairly big landscape company) also has insurance. If I screw something up, I can see going after me, but if 4-5 hours after he tells me to leave, it's his baby, yeah?

Also, if I drive his equipment, (a pusher or a sander) I'm covered with the million in liabilithy in my name, right?

Is there anything else I should flag to my insurance provider that I've not thought of?

Thanks.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What is "full insurance"? Your truck should have Commercial Liability insurance, regardless. Never assume - always check. Ask him if he carries General Liability to cover subcontractors and get a copy for your file. Also, make sure the policy specifically covers "snowplowing" as an "activity". Most subcontractors are required to carry GL and provide the contractor a copy naming them as "Additional Insured" (your insurance agent does this).

As far as "If I screw something up, I can see going after me, but if 4-5 hours after he tells me to leave, it's his baby, yeah?" - No. You are the one who did the work - you're still liable also.

Also, if I drive his equipment, (a pusher or a sander) I'm covered with the million in liabilithy in my name, right? Maybe, maybe not. Ask your insurance agent. Also, this could provide a basis for making you an employee. See the IRS guidance on determining Contractor vs Employee.