1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sublet Rates In MI

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by BlizzardMan21, Dec 10, 2008.

1. BlizzardMan21

BlizzardMan21 Junior Member

I am sorry if this dose not come out right. I am a new member and just learning the site. I am working for a company subletting. I have a 97 GMC 2500 with a Blizzard power plow (8-10). my rate is $65.00 an hour. Dose this sound about right?

Thank you
  2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yes. Actually, for a truck of your capacity, it may be a bit cheap. YOU are moving an incredible amount f snow for 65 per hour. Sure sounds like a nice setup you have, though!
  3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Subletting = Subcontractor

Probably not the most experienced plower so that rate seams a little high to me. But i guess the decent size plow makes up for it
  4. BlizzardMan21

been plowing for about five or six years for them with there stuff at $20 an hour. I make really good time and normally end up helping the others. I have herd that if you are using your own gas,truck and plow, that rates should be any where form $75-$95. depending on your set up. What do you guys think?
  5. BlizzardMan21

Also thank you for your replys and any more to come.
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

$65 seems cheap for a blizzard 810. Guys around here get $60-75/hr with a 7.5 or 8' blade. 8-10' or V plow gets $75-90/hr. Of course "here" isn't "there". Your mileage may vary.
  7. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I think I would be happy with $65/hr. You were making $20 plowing for them. Does the additional $45 pay for you equipment, insurance, & gas?

You might want to consider getting paid a flat rate for what ever you do. That way you can be more efficient with your 810 and still make money.
  8. Here in Toronto the subcontractor rate is about $100 per hour. What your getting sounds too low to me but then again I'm not experienced in the American side of the business.
  9. QuadPlower

In another post a guy in Saganaw is charging $60/hr for the same equipment and he is the contractor.

Howd that song go. "don't worry, be happy."
  10. Easy to say until the poor guy blows a tranny and costs him $2000.... Thats over 30 hours of work out the window right there... Add fuel and time onto that and boy does $65.00 per hour seem a lot smaller...
  11. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

Ha Ha Im the guy in Saginaw. We are getting undercut by guys charging like $30-40 an hour. It is totally cutthroat around here. Its crazy how many startups around here are dropping the rates down to crazy lowball prices. I even talked to a guy who was excited by making $25.00 an hour with his own truck. INSANE!
  12. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I sub two trucks and get $65.00/hr for each. One is a Blizzard 810 and the other is a Fisher 8 footer. I think I am gonna hit them up for more for the blizzard. This is in Ann Arbor MI
  13. How in the world are these guys surviving? By the time all your expenses come out you might as well go flip burgers at McDonalds and ask for a retirement savings plan. LOL
  14. QuadPlower

Its also 20 hours at $100/hr. Your tranny can blow even if you are making $200/hr.

He was making $20/hr driveing the contractors equipment last year. I asked if $45 additional per hour pays for insurance, fuel, etc. Sounds like he should be lucky to get $65 subbing
  15. QuadPlower

It has been said many times, "I would rather stay in bed, then go out and loose money"

I would rather go out and loose money than flip burgers at McD's.
  16. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

I agree Quad, we actually are doing less this year for that reason. We make money, it just is rotten compared to what it was even a few years ago. Around here we are even losing accounts that go out of business or even worse BANKRUPT. Still waiting for checks to come in from several bankruptcies. The courts are so slow. I guess I have figured if I ever get any from the bankruptcy, I will be happy.
  17. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

I guess to clarify, all of our accounts are not at that price, we have had to dip down to about $60.00 an hour combined blowing and plowing to keep several jobs due to extreme lowballing. Even losing some because that was still double what the new guy was going to charge. We also have the lawn accounts on these so losing them would be a double whammy. Even when one of these lowballers goes out of business because his only truck breaks down or (fill in the blank) happens, there are two to take his place. You would not believe how many S10 blazers I have seen plowing lots lately. Craziness! I am not bitter about it just think it is a sign of the times.
  18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Michigan isn't Toronto. He has a 11 year old truck and if you go 1 hour north of Toronto, which is more like Michigan, there will be guys working for $65/hour or less. Parts of Michigan are in desperate times, there's cost of living is less then half of Toronto.
  19. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

Yep you hit it right on the nail. We run three trucks and do alright, for the area, but with the way things are going, we might be working for free pretty soon. I guess you guys should make sure you dont move to Saginaw, MI...lol.
    Id say you subbing for $65.00 per hour would be ok, I myself would ask your employer if you can get a set price per job instead of per hour, so it is in your best interest to bust your butt. And as long as you remember to be nice to your truck....tranny fluid/diff changes and you should be ok.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008