1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subing Salt Rate?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by silvetouch, Feb 7, 2010.

1. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

Are there any of you that sub any of your salting out?
    If so, how much do you pay and do you pay an hourly rate or a flat rate per ton applied?

What would you suggest that a sub with there own truck with vbox should get paid per ton applied using our salt? or would you suggest an hourly rate?

thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I dont sub any salting out, we take of our own salting....but we do sub out to another company on salting, and its flat rate per app. If its a partial/spot salting, its is "usually" charged out as half that rate.

I prefer per app pricing or by the ton, whether I'm a sub or the contract holder.

3. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

what would you say a good rate would be if it is their vbox but we are supplying the salt?

4. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Depends on how much of your salt ends up inn the right place.

:laughing:

5. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

If the salt is in the WRONG place, then i'm the one thats going to be gettin paid. :gunsfiring:
    anyone else that has a answer to the original question, feel free to post. - Thanks!

6. hosejockey4506

hosejockey4506 Senior Member

i get paid a flat rate of 145 a ton and have to report to the contractor how much im using per job. They are larger jobs so its easy to see how much you used. Im buying salt right now at 78 a ton.

7. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Is that $145 - 78 ? or $145 + 78

8. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

my interpretation of that was he gets paid $145 / tonand has to buy his own salt at $78 a ton?!

9. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

sounds like michigan to me....

I'd do it by the app. how are you going to guess what the weight of applied salt is unless you happen to roll some scales at every stop. making piss on salting like that is a good way to get screwed if you're off by more than a few pounds in your guessing.

10. Kubota 8540

I have never hired a sub, but I have salted as a sub many times. I can tell you I wouldn't salt if it was $145 -78= $67?

I don't like per pound or per ton? Got scales? I will only salt per app. with a flat fee.

11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Is this a new opportunity for you for the remainder of the year???

12. Kubota 8540

There are so many variables to your question. Are these large parking areas/lots or driveways?. Are they close to one another? How much travel time between them? Are they hillsides/slopes or flat? Are you going to use a full box full / less /more? Is this a one time deal per contractor or are you going to provide a steady service for them?
    If I were to call you to salt and I had 2 lots for you to salt. Both lots requiring 1 ton each, the first lot 1/2 mile from your house and the other 10 miles away. If it were per ton you'd be making less on the second lot? If you were charging per hour the first lot wouldn't take much time being so close you'd be making less money? Per app is best for the person doing the spreading, no questions on pounds or tons, a flat fee agreed to in advance. There are problems you can run into with per app also. The lot may have not been plowed and has become all hard pack which could require more than usual amount of salt? Personally, I always look at the lot before I give a flat price and determine how much salt I will need to spread.

13. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

1 of my plow subs has a vbox and was asking if i had any use for it. He's a good kid and close to where we keep our salt. Just trying to figure out how to throw a little $$ his way & still be beneficial to myself.

14. Kubota 8540

So he's already going to be on these lots plowing anyway?

15. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

for the most part, unless we just do a salt run.

16. Kubota 8540

So he's already going to be on these lots plowing anyway. As the contract holder you should already know how much salt the lots will take. Per ton is incentive to over apply. Per hour incentive to move slowly. Per app sounds like the safest for both of you? Or at least until you run into a situation like thick hard pack that requires more salt?

17. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Pay him his normal hourly plow rate. Salting will give him more opportunity to get hours. Forget about paying him based on what he throws....keep it hourly. The result will be excessive salt going down if his pay is based on what he throws.

There will be times when you only need .25 - 1 ton on a route that may take 5 tons on a normal/full run. Stress to him that his judgment is far more important than the quantities he may throw. Provide him a minimum for these occasions.

The key is for you to supply the salt.

18. Kubota 8540

I would have to agree on this theory.

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Close to what he's getting plowing, maybe a bit more....but work it out to flat rate amounts per property. Sometimes he may do 6 places??? sometimes he may only do 2???

Definitely agree with this regardless of pay method!

20. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy Junior Member

We just had to hire someone to salt for us for the first time.

F550 dump truck with a salt spreader and a driver for $200 per hour. We provided the bulk salt and a loader.

Thought that was a great price considering how badly we needed someone in a 24" blizzard.