1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SubDivision Quote Newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mcprop, Feb 6, 2014.

1. mcprop

mcprop Junior Member
    from 48328

[​IMG]

I have recently been asked to plow sub-divisions. I am trying to make sure my quotes are closely accurate. They do not want any salt. So for example; the sub in the picture come out to be about 3.1 miles, this includes clearing intersections. I figure it will need 5 passes. That would be 3.1 miles X 5 passes = 18.5 total miles.

I usually try to average $100 an hour on residential driveways. It I apply to the 15.5 mile with an average speed of 10MPH that it should take me about 1.6 hour s to plow. Then take the 1.6 X $ 100 would be $160 per plow. The winters here we usually average 6 plow per month. Apply the 5 plows per month to $160 would be $800 per month.

Does this seem to too high or too low?

My Equipment:
    2005 Chevy Silverado HD 4x4
    Western ProPlus plow

Subdivision.JPG

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Out of your league with a truck.

3. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Your going take more time than you think. There going to want it opened up durning the storm. Make sure you push way back on the first pass or it will get heavy quick.

4. mcprop

mcprop Junior Member
    from 48328

Do you think that I some increase it by another 30%? I plan on pushing way back on first passes.

5. grandview

These streets have curbs? Your plow will throw it up only so high.

6. NThill93

NThill93 Member

not sure what your area is like but personally id be charging double that if not more and thats a lot for one guy and one truck. dont mean to be a d!ck but it seems a little much for you

7. mcprop

mcprop Junior Member
    from 48328

No curbs.

I will most likely add a truck... rebuilding the suspension on one now then find a plow.

8. quigleysiding

Two trucks would be the way to go . Thats how we do it .One right behind the other. Then split up and go clean everything up .

9. mcprop

mcprop Junior Member
    from 48328

Yeah I think trucks is the way to go. The sub association now want a quote to include clearing around fire hydrants.. Any thoughts?

10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

You will find that with out a Real Truck with a Wing you will run out of room very fast. I am saying like a city or county truck 30,000 - 36,000 lbs. I have plowed with one for ten years. A pickup will be a challenge at best.

11. mcprop

mcprop Junior Member
    from 48328

This sub is about 1/3rd bigger then one that I already have been plow from the start of this season... I haven't had any problem pushing with the D-Max...

12. d_charters

d_charters Junior Member
    from ontario

I would strongly suggest you heed grandviews warning!!!! those are long pushes! a good snow and you might find your truck not being able to push it! I personally wouldn't do it without a tractor at least. and defiantly more than $160. a push! you will most likely regret it.

13. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

for what its worth I'd be charging atleast 300 if not more depending on where you are.

14. quigleysiding

I think you can do it with a pickup. But you are going to have to stay on top of it . We plow roads but we plow with the storm we never leave the route and we have two trucks . I wouldnt be able to plow that around here for 160.00. How come you figure 6 plows per month but only charge for 5 . I would have some backup in case your truck or plow breaks.

15. grandview

How much is a cutting edge for your plow? It will burn up fast. What about salt? If those roads do get a lot of traffic it will be an ice rink.

16. mcprop

mcprop Junior Member
    from 48328

No Problem on the cutting edge. Its 9ft x 6" x 1/2" thick.. it's going to be a while before its need replacing...

17. jryan

jryan Junior Member
    from Ohio

Doing 15 miles of road over and over again will chew up that cutting edge much faster than what you think it will.

18. mcprop

mcprop Junior Member
    from 48328

True, this going to be wear and tear to account for.. and the edge is about $200. plus I can switch to cold rolled steel extra cost.

19. quigleysiding

I am on my second cuttig edge this year. One 8 inch and one six inch. And its time for a new one. Thats both trucks. So figure in a cutting edge. If they dont salt the roads they wont wear as fast but it will be a bumpy mess to plow. Not tring to discourage you but facts are facts and you need to figure it in on your prices.