1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subdivision Plowing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Hudson0602, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Hudson0602

Hudson0602 Junior Member

I have put in a few bids on small subdivisions in my area I got them by chance (one my parents live in the sub, the other by a flyer I made), My question is how do I find out who the president of a home owners association is? and how do I find out if subdivisions pay out of pocket for plowing or if the county takes care of it? any info would be great, Im new to the business and doing alright for my first season but I would like to add some more of these type of accounts. Im assuming that there is no way of finding out who they are other than knocking on someones door but I could be wrong.........

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You are actually plowing the street in the subdivision then? Do you know how signed the contract and what is their return address? This sounds fishy to me.....

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

what part of that sounded fishy?
    it all sounded like legit questions and are all questions i have wondered myself as there area lot of private subdivisions here

4. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I agree, fishy. A) Who did you submit the bid to? B) Ask your parents who the president is. C) How did you land the contract if you don't even know if you have to plow the street? D) Call the town. E) This sounds fishy.

5. cretebaby

he asking about adding more subdivisions not the ones he already has

6. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Now that makes this less fishy. D) Call the town.

7. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

The builder owns the right to the subdivision until it is complete, the bond is released, and the property is turned over to the town. Then the town plows it. To answer your question, you need to contact the builder. He is responsible for keeping the road clean. Each persons private driveway is their responsibility. You can contact the homeowners directly in effort to gain their business.

8. M&M

M&M Senior Member

That's not always the case. If the homes are setup like a condo association then the town does not maintain the roads or remove trash. These are contracted out by the homeowners association and paid through association/condo fees.

9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

He didnt ask about condos. He asked about a subdivision of homes.

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

They don't always turn it over to the town/city.
    sometimes they stay a private road.
    I plow one, I live on another, and I can think of 3 or 4 more that I have customers that live on. (summer customers)

11. cretebaby

Gicon some of the subdivision roads here, there mostly in the county, are privatly owned and maintained. Some will group the driveways in with the street similiar to a condo owners assoc.

12. Hudson0602

Hudson0602 Junior Member

Maybe I wasnt clear with my question, sorry it was late last night, Im curious how to FIND OUT who the president of any other subdivision/ condo complex is. I obviously already know who the president of the subdivisions I already have is. I just happened to stumble on these contracts and I would like to get more. But I think your right contacting the builder will be my best bet or I will just call on one of the houses for sale in the sub and get the info from the realtor. Sorry about the confusion guys.

13. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

As a condo/or private subbdivision in which has fees, try looking up the property name or address through city/town goverment; it should lead you it. there are leads you can buy to obtain the info.

14. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'm doing 2 new private subdivisions this year. One a friend of mine lives in and he gave me the information to call and the other one the Chevy salesman that sold me my new truck is the President of the Assn. so I got lucky. If you were looking to find out more information on other subdivisions, I would simply stop by one of the houses and ask them who the President was. If you have a business card and/or have your truck with your business name on it, they shouldn't have much problem giving you the info. Note: While your talking to them, ask a few questions about how the job was done last year and if they were happy. The state, city or county is not the place to go. They wouldn't have any idea.

15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I am not saying anything on his part sounded fishy.

It sounds like when he said he put in pids and "got them by chance" that he won the bids. But then had no idea who would be paying.

16. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I'm going to tell you the best thing to do . and most here will hate me for it . Find a home for sale than call the Realtor they will know !!!!

17. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

See Maine was smart in this. The street signs are white background, with green lettering if they are private, and Green background with white lettering if public owned. I alomost this NH is like this too.

18. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

o ya 90 % wont bid them out unless A) you know some one B) the price was raised to much the last year C) the guy did poor work

19. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Isn't that why everyone rebids?

20. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

CRB...that's not a bad idea. That's called using whatever information you have that's available. I don't see anything wrong, immoral, or illegal about your suggestions.