1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

subcontractor time tracking

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by FFD133, Nov 29, 2006.

1. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

what does everyone use to track plowing times for sub contractors?

2. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

pen and paper are pretty cheap and reliable

3. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

A Clock...

I know where you are going with this.

Ya pay em from the time they show up at the shop, or when the blade touches the ground the first time (if they dont report to yourfacility and go to the job directly), until it touches the ground the last time, or until they return to the shop to drop off their time card/sheet that they should be carrying for each individual stop you send them to, to denote and document time, conditions, etc etc etc.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Just keep in mind that every event is different. Some I can average 40 minutes to clear. The next time with heavy wet snow it may take 60 minutes. Make up a log sheet ( who,where,conditions,snow fall,start,finish ) and use it to track your costs and hours owed. File it daily/weekly etc so you have it for reference.

5. LLM Ann Arbor

Log sheets are a must for documentation and legal purposes if they arise as well.

Amounts, temps, conditions, all that.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Bingo.....

7. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Besides log sheets which are very important, My subs call me to log on and off.

8. LLM Ann Arbor

Thats how I do it with the group I sub for. I may not se them but twice a year. Once at an annual snow meeting, once at the christmas party. I fax my logs from home, and I see the salt truck drivers occassionally that comes in after Im done but other than that its all done on the phone.

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's better to have a paper log of events too. Paper log it then log into the laptop / PC.
    People will steal lap tops at the drop of a hat. Computer hard drives crash, windows decides it doesn't like you anymore. But you still have hard copies to reconstruct the records.

10. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

the guy i plow for does pen and paper....when i get to the 1st lot till i get to the 2nd lot...then when i get to the 2nd lot till i get till tp the 3rd lot...and so on and so on....and he pays me from start to finish if everything looks ok