1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subcontractor rates???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MikeD520, Nov 18, 2005.

1. MikeD520

MikeD520 Junior Member

Over the past 6 years I have worked as a subcontractor for a subcontractor that worked for the contract owner, in other words... a VERY large grounds/landscape maintenance firms hires subcontractors (we'll call the middleman) to supply the contract owner with plow trucks, salt trucks, ATV's with plows and skid steers to clear large office complexes, pharmaceutical facilities, shopping centers, etc. The "middleman" maybe a small to medium sized landscaping company with some equipment, but them supplements his fleet with local guys that own plow trucks and atv's with plows ("the workers"). I was one of these "workers" for six years, but now have a pest control and need to keep my guys busier throughout the winter with plowing. The contract owner needs me to give him a list of equipment available and their appropriate hourly rates. As one of the "workers" I was paid $70 and $65 per hour for my salt truck and plow truck respectively, and I believe that skid steers and atv's were around $50 per hour. Now that I am becoming the "middleman" what prices do I charge the contrat owner if I need to "pay" each of my pieces of equipment the going rates? Your help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. sunriseturf

sunriseturf Member

All depends on what you have. I am in your market and we have quite a few subs. We pay our subs an average $100 per hour for a 7.5 ft plow, one shoveler, and a salt spreader. It depends on how long they have been with us and how good they are. We usually add 30-35 % margin on top. If you have the main contract you could even charge more.

V-plows should get 30-40% more per hour
    I pay $75 per hour for a skid steer and $85 if he puts my sno pusher on
    Backhoes I pay $100 per hour and $125 if he puts my sno pusher on

Again if you have the main contract mark these prices up at least 30%

Hope this helps