1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subcontractor quits

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by gardenkeeper88, Sep 8, 2006.

1. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

Last winter I had 1 sub to try and see how it went. Right We had no snow. But in dec all went smooth and we both were happy. This year I contact him again and he had to switch jobs because of insurance. So now I know that I will have enough jobs for 8-9 hrs of plowing with a 2" trigger. Do you ever have your sub not show, can't get a hold of them when you need to start, or quit in mid winter. Or should i think of hiring 2 and split the hours? I just don' want to pi$$ off any customers or worse have an ins. claim because the job wasn't done. How do you go about finding sub? good ones!:help: Thanks to all who post.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I ask people all the time if they know any one looking for work. There are not many times when they don't show up but there are times when they break down. Last year I had 11 subs so when 1 doesn't show or breaks it is easy to cover their hours off with 10 more guys. I try to have no work for myself and thin I will fill in the empty spots. This has never worked but I usually don't have a full route. If you only have 9 hours total that would be tough to split between 3 trucks. Not enough hours to keep any one happy. We have run adds in the local paper but 50% of the guys don't show the first night and now you have problems. We plow mainly schools so I hope for a Friday or Saturday night first snowfall.

3. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

Last year I had 8 1/2 hours each of the 3 trucks (25-26 hours) So far returned contracts are about 17 hours. So 8 for my truck and the splitting was do I hire 1 or 2 subs for the other 9 hours. This thought process will continue if I get all that I have quoted to date. With the addl. 17 -18 hours above my truck do I hire 2 or three more subs or maybe hire 3 subs and divide the 25-26 hours between 4 trucks ( 6-7 ea.). I want to make wint. as profit.as poss. That is why I guess I booked my full.purplebou :bluebounc

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

6-7 hours for a broker is not bad. Most of them have work of their own. If one of them breaks down you might be able to do the rest with the 3 trucks. They usually don't break down right at the start so it's not like you have to cover their entire route.