1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subcontractor Question

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by dmjr77, Sep 26, 2005.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Well it looks like I am going to be taking a lot more accounts this year. Since I have not found another truck yet, it looks like I am going to have to use a freind of mine as a sub contract help. He has his own truck (2001 Ford F250 SD, Diesel) and own insurance. How much should I pay him an hour? or should I pay him by the driveway? I do have 2 small roads that I have to plow this year. I just want to be fair.
    Thank You
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I would pay him by the hour, not sure what the going rate is by you buy around here it about 50-65/hour for subs.
  3. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Another subcontractor ?

Does GL insurance cover subcontractors or just employees?
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

you might find it easier to pay him by the job, somewhere between 40%-60%. The more you pay the more responsible he is for the accounts. Like staking them in the fall and cleaning up in the spring. Since he is using his truck/gas/insurance I would lean toward a higher number. However, does your insurance cover using subs?

When I subbed I was paid by the job- the faster I plowed the more time I had for my own stuff. Being paid by the hour has its disadvantages, the only way to make more money is to work slower.
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats a very good point, Good thinking Grn Mtn.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i would pay him by the job give him 70% of the price. :waving:
  7. snowman4848

snowman4848 Junior Member

hey turf

Do u need any subs..... i have a 04 F250 8'6" v-western with no commitments yet....

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

now what if your sub will only be doing driveways. Would you still give them 40-70% of each drive or would you pay him hourly??????