1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

subcontractor question

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by james.j.smith, May 3, 2012.

1. james.j.smith

james.j.smith Senior Member
    from 19033

I've been plowing as a sub for several years for the same landscaping company. the way that it worked in the past was that when it snowed i'd receive a text or call making sure that I was ready then another text or call to go out. At that Time i would normally be told what site to go to. The owner of the landscaping company that I sub for recently acquired a excavating company. This year I was told I was one of his subs and got my badging/clearance for the properties that needed them. then with the limited snowfalls, when we did get snow he used his guys to do the lots I was normally responsible for.

example being is that on 1 storm (approximately 2" - 3") got the text saying to be ready then no followup call since he sent his landscaping people out to plow the lots.

everything I have done in the past has been verbal, should I have a written contract with this company or is this normally how being a sub works?
  2. james.j.smith

from 19033

I'd like to add that since this happen three times this year with very little snow I made money in snow removal this year and am in the red (like many people).

my buddy (who works for the same company) wants us to get our own contracts this year and I don't know if I think the idea yet.

I just want to make sure I have things lined up right before next plow season.
  3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

This happens all the time to subs, it happened to me years ago when I started out as a sub. You have 3 choices; talk to him about it, find another company to work for, &/or get your own work.
    Personally I don't do that if my stuff goes out so do my subs, that's how I keep the subs I have. Some of my subs have plowed for years, been the route of having their own accounts & would rather just work for me, no chasing work, when a client does complain they are ver quick to say " call the office" & had them a business card, with a smile, and continue finishing their
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  4. james.j.smith

from 19033

I kind of like being a sub for what you mentioned above. I show up to work get my job done and get paid. I do not have to worry about bidding and estimating jobs, managing accounts or worrying about getting paid. Been plowing for 5 years as a sub but have never got into the estimating portion. I can assume that the guy I work for is charging double what he pays me.

I don't blame the guy for what was done since he has more overhead and expenses then i do and has his own employees that work for him year round, that he has to keep happy and there was no snow compared to other years. I just want to make sure that I have things set up right for next season. Having a verbal agreement when I'm putting out a bunch of money in insurance and maintenance cost just doesn't seem like the right way to go. It has worked for me in the past and I never really thought about it till I had a year in the red,

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Maybe you need to talk about standby pay or a minimum
  6. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I would click over to the networking or employment forum on this website. Get yourself set up some where else for next season. Sounds like you got shafted. Hope itworks out better for you in the future.