1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subcontractor Problems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Gamtertag, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Gamtertag

Gamtertag Junior Member
    from Ontario

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could guide me or provide me with some insight with this situation I'm having for a company I sub for. Well I took a large route on for this company, subbing 3 of my trucks out to them this season as I've lost a lot of private work. One of the trucks does a 12 hour plow shift where the others do an average of 8 hours total for plowing. As you all may know this has been a bad season already and I had hit about 80 hours within 15 days as I also salt and do the walks for these properties. I'm having the company owner tell me the first route should only take 6 hours and that I have written down illegitimate hours, we have now exceeded 200. I do understand that it has been a tough Winter for contractors financially, however this is not a way to deal with it. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose; mother natures call. He has threatened not to pay me anything he owes until he can find another contractor or reviews my log sheets. I have agreed to helping him out for the upcoming 15cm storm tomorrow but am afraid I'll be leaving his shop with a goodbye or a cheque for a quarter of what he owes me. He has been very unprofessional and I did have a doubt as I was getting into the contract as he made up many excuses as to why his other contractors are no longer working for him, thus having me take his route over.

I have texts proclaiming he has sent me out and a few images of sites when I was there which are geotagged with location and time. I am willing to take legal action and spend whatever I have to as it will prevent any future fraud the company will commit with other subcontractors. If anyone has any suggestions, please do not hesitate to reply as I am out of luck. He owes me well over $25,000 already for all three trucks.

2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Get paid for what he owes and get a dash cam. Are you plowing a route or positive your guys arent milking it?

Have him ride along

3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

pick a time to sit with him and review logs, etc....come upon a decision and get a check for that amount, good or bad...then decide if you both wish to continue working together...try and part friends if you decide to leave

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Another arguement for dash cams... really thinking of getting one.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Going to have to go the the way credit cards are, you have a limit on hours/money. if not paid in time no service.

6. CHPL

CHPL Member

Nextraq or some gps tracking in your trucks would provide good detail also. Something to consider for the future.

7. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

If he doesn't believe you they have him do a ride along in one of the trucks, which is a horrible idea but the only way to get your point across. Let him know that legal action will be taken if 100% of what is owed isn't paid to you within 7 days.

Im not kidding, you need to call him and tell him you need to meet him at his shop today. As soon as you wrap up your meeting with him which should take less then 30 minutes that 7 day time limit starts.

Take all photos and any proof with you. Have each of your subs sign a paper saying that they aren't screwing around. Let the contractor know that a 5-10 minute break every 1-2 hours is necessary. Print off a well written article on Deep Vein Thrombosis, one of the moderators just posted a thread today about it.

Also tell him that you are willing to put the gps trackers in your trucks if he wants to pay for them.

$25,000 and im coming to blows with the guy so you're more calm then I am.

Michael

8. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

You should contact his accounts you are plowing and see if hes gotten paid and if he has advise them you have not and that you would like them to pay you directly if possible!!!!

You can also get the property owners to sign legal affidavites that your trucks have been there and performed the work..

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

He knows what he owes the guy,he's trying to wait him out and see if he'll take less if .

Bad idea,this guy would probably get a lawyer and sue him for interference in a business trying to make a profit.

10. ddobson

ddobson Junior Member
    from pa

He is waiting for his customers to pay before he pays you. Either way that should be his risk not yours.

11. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

I agree with dd. I think a lot of the guys are getting short cash flow. I know my guy owes me a lot as well. The thing these companies need to understand is if we wanted to dick around collecting money and waiting to be paid......we would be getting our own contracts and making $50 an hour more.

The reason most of us sub is to get paid quickly and be done with it. It is not our business, we shouldn't have to fund it. I pay my drivers, buy fuel, make repairs and wait to get paid. But I still do it because I like the guys I work for and they are honest, I understand cash flow can be difficult when it is like it's been this winter.

12. taylortscm

taylortscm Junior Member

your getting paid?

I subbed work from another company this year lawn and snow enforcement inc out of Elmhurst il it's been one excuse after another I have not been paid a dime over 70 days Monday I will file liens on the properties I plowed only $5000 it's a shame it has to come to this. so if your getting paid talk to him work something out and revise your contract for next year