1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subcontractor pricing and off-season work

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by eortheain, Nov 7, 2003.

1. eortheain

eortheain Junior Member

I'm planning to do some subcontracting work this winter. I have a midsized backhoe (John Deere 420E, 4x4, 1.5cy bucket, 14" containment plow) and I'm trying to figure out how much to charge per hour in my bids.

I know that other subcontractors in the area charge about $65/hour for a pickup+plow, same for Bobcats, but have no real idea how much the backhoe folks charge

Given that, what's a reasonable rate for a 4x4 backhoe?

I'm in the Northern Virginia area.

Also, an unrelated question: what is the best way to find plumbers, septic field contractors, excavation and grading companies, and so on, who might be looking for someone to help out when they're swamped or on weekends when their regular employees are off?

2. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

My boss's husband operates at $65/hr if he needs to charge by the hour. He usually just gives a flat out price...long story. He also charges a $500 minimum. Just some numbers I've heard of.

Blake
    WA