1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subcontractor pay rates in Wash, DC area

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowVA, Nov 17, 2009.

1. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Anybody in the area.....What are you paying your subs these days per hour. Both with their own truck or driving one of mine.

Right now I have $35 for driving one of my trucks and $95 for driving their own truck. Couple guys told me I was not paying enough. Any thoughts/ideas??

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It snows there?

That's double now what you get here.

3. snobama

snobama Member

It is a tough market, but your rates aren't bad.

4. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

It hasn't snowed hear in several years (more than an inch or two). We get a lot of business due to icy conditions and "re-freezing" in overnight periods. People can't wait for the sun to melt a few icy patches around here. Too many people with itchy trigger fingers ready to sue!

5. triadpm

triadpm Member
    from 21771

I am a sub with a few trucks and thats more than what I get/pay. I don't have a problem with my deal. You'll always have some that think they are worth a lot more than the going rate I guess.Are your subs paying there own taxes?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  6. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

WOW!!!! 35/95! If I got those rates where I'm at, as a sub, I wouldn't even bother getting my own work. I'd just work as a sub every year.

Our rates here are closer to 18/65.

7. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

that is almost double the rates we get around here as well

8. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

I know I am on the lowside. A truck and sander gets $175/hr around here for the prime