1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subcontractor hourly rates

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nickacf7, Nov 21, 2010.

1. nickacf7

nickacf7 Junior Member

What should I be getting paid per hour as a subcontractor? The truck I run is an 05 ford f350 with one year old 8'2" boss v blade. Also thinking about getting a back blade, what would that add to the rate. Any ideas?

2. nickacf7

nickacf7 Junior Member

Oh, This will be my 3rd year plowing and I have to pay for my own fuel and insurance. Plowing all commercail lots.

3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I would suggest talking to some contractors and companys in your area...Its tough giving out rates..Its all local...What they are paying in Detroit is not what they are paying in Zeeland....payup

4. nickacf7

nickacf7 Junior Member

Yeah, from what i've read rates vary from place to place. Just trying to get a ballpark number, Maybe someone from my area will chime in.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

$50 to $75 an hour

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

$35 - $100/hr around here. Hope that helps.

7. adan

adan Member

Atleast $55/hour to cover costs

8. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Dude they just closed a thread about what a sub should get paid because of all the arguing, do some calling around your area for a better idea, your going to get all kinds of figures on here, good luck.

9. nickacf7

nickacf7 Junior Member

Yeah I'll have to do that.

Can I delete the thread or does an administrator have to do it?

10. DJ Contracting

Administrator has to

11. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Just add up

Insurance per year.
    Gas, How much to fill up X how many storms per year.
    Average repair cost per year.
    Truck.
    Plow.
    General maintenance on both truck and plow.
    Misc.

Then divide it all by how much you are getting paid per hour. This will tell you exactly how many hours you will have to work for free before you make one penny.

12. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Why delete the thread ? Sub contractors have every right to talk on these forums. There is nothing wrong with asking how much you should get. It's a valid question that i and many others had to learn the hard way. Hopefully the new guys will see threads like this and can learn from the mistakes i and others have already made.

13. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

I agree. A lot of new guys wanting to sub don't realize the total expenses/overhead of what they are doing. Subcontractors need to operate as a business themselves, taking into consideration expenses like Nekos pointed out above and then charging over and above that for actual money earned when the dust settles.

The sub needs to figure out what their expenses might be, although this will vary from rig to rig. Then they themselves personally need to figure out their time and charge what they think is fair exchange rate.

If your overhead is X amount and you want to make $30/hr after expenses, then charge accordingly.

14. DJ Contracting

I agree also that a new guy should understand how to figure his cost, however when people chime in saying you should get at least this much or I won't start my truck starts all the arguing. Give them a formula and let them figure it out. What you get paid in your area may not work in another, we know it changes from state to state county to county city to city. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

15. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

In Erie if you get 40$ a hour with a one ton and a V your doin well for this area, I'd say you should be getting as much as you can and if it aint enough to make any money dont do it.

16. F350Superduty

F350Superduty Junior Member

There are several places in the west cleveland area hiring for $55 an hour.

17. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Know your cost.

Know your costs per hour for your company based on your overhead and expenses. If you
    want something simple to use to do that, we have a CD called "Know why you charge what you charge" and a Bidding manual that will calculate your break-even point for your company based on your overhead and expenses. Then you ad any margin the market will bear above and beyond those costs.

Call us or go on-line to check it out. The school of hard knocks is a great teacher but why put yourself through it? We make it simple. Good luck.

18. slave2lawns

slave2lawns Member

I don't see why anyone would want to delete a thread. There's nothing wrong with sharing info for people who might need it. I remember when i was in the wireless business, we would go to seminars and no one would want to the other. Like talking to someone else in the industry is a bad thing. Funny how some people get threatened by someone else in the industry.

19. DJ Contracting

I remember when i was in the wireless business, we would go to seminars and no one would want to the other ?? :confused:

Funny how some people get threatened by someone else in the industry. Not threatened here I'm not a sub.

20. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

The company I sub pays me per lot and trys to pay me 60 per hr I make more than that as I can get them done quicker.