1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subcontractor gas paid for

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by White Baron, Nov 4, 2006.

1. White Baron

White Baron Junior Member
    from detroit

I have a sub that wants $50.00 an hour and his gas paid for. I was offering more money but no gas reimbursement. Your thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for you opinion.
  2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I can't see our company offering gas reimbursments, a fair or slightly higher then fair rate, should be enough. Who knows maybe the sub has a gas that like to drink gas like we breath air.
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi White Baron
    The latest rate in Detroit area is $65.00 hrs with a pickup and 8.5 Boss. You pay your own gas and ins. I know of more than one company offering that price. Of course you need to have a proven track record and good equipment to get that rate.

Regards Mike
  4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Whats the rate for a pickup and an 8.5 western?
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  5. victoryrider

victoryrider Junior Member

I demand at least $60 per hour period. I cover all my costs at that rate as a subcontractor.

DUSTYCEDAR Junior Member
    from S.E.PA

i have been asking around and it seems to be 10 bucks a foot of plow blade around here
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Depends on what truck he is driving, too. Some really drink. Also, what is to stop him from pulling in with an empty truck then and leaving full on your tab?
  8. ksgcapecod

ksgcapecod Member

Interesting topic. I'm in just the opposite situation. I have my 18 year old brother in law plowing for me. My business paid for the plow, the mounting on his truck and I will pay for his gas while plowing. I just have to figure on what hourly rate I will pay him. I was thinking $10-15 under the table. In no way would I pay for gas for a regular sub when your already paying good $$ per hour. Ken
  9. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

About $11.00 per hr. ;)
  10. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Tell him good luck.50 a hour plus gas he will always pull in empty leave full and run errands while out plowing.He will stop and eat with the trucking running leave truck running doing sidewalks.You will be paying 85 or 90 a hour if you do that.

11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Absolutely no fuel is paid for....
  12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the price should be the same, they are both 8'6" plows.
  13. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Central NJ, I pay my subs $75 an hour and they take care of their own fuel.
    Seems to me from the conversations on here that each part of the country is different.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  14. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Track his milage and you will make out if you only pay 50 and the going rate is 65. 15 dollars per hour buys 7 gallons of gas now a days. I doubt you will burn 7 gallons of fuel in one hr.
  15. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Around here you get a supplement.

Say the average price is 85 cents a liter for diesel in your area.

Figure out how much fuel you burn on average per hour and, and pay that when you over 85 cents. Around here I think it's $2 per hour when it's over 85 cents. Sometimes it's 86 cents and you get it, sometimes it's 1.02, but it evens out.
  16. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

All based on location. I get 60.00 as a contractor and that is a good rate for my area. 2 of my subs i pay 40.00 and my 1 specail sub who has been with me for 10 years and know all of my accounts i pay 40.00 plus his fuel. I can pad a few of the jobs he does and still make out.
  17. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm a sub in northern NJ. I pay for my fuel and get $75.00 p/hr., but I don't have to pay for any type of "plowing" insurance because I'm covered by the contractor.