1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subcontractor Damage

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by cbservicesllc, Nov 15, 2015.

1. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

I have a Contract for Subcontractors, but no damage clause... Does anyone do this? Do you withhold any amounts as a "security deposit?"

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

When we used subs years ago we absolutely had a clause in their agreement for damages. Typically (depending on the winter) we held the last check or until we could actually see the ground. If there was minor lawn damage that's one thing but over the years some of our subs did some real numbers on properties. They are supposed to be professionals and should be held accountable for anything above minor lawn damage and if you expect them to pay you back come spring....forget it, you'll never see them again.

3. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Subs

We have a clause in our contract with our subs. We do take pre-season pictures of all lots as well to show any existing damage. That is for us, the sub, and the client's recognition.

4. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

This. The pictures are time consuming but the amount of damage that was there before the season at some of the sites we had was astonishing, so the photos must have paid off in the post-season when clients knew what we didnt do. (I was a manager for a company that did this at all of our sites)

5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Pictures

I can be a bit time consuming based on the number of accounts you service. However, you are right, the time required to do it is much less than the expense to repair things you didn't actually damage. Not to mention the goodwill created with the client. It removes the "we didn't do that", "yeas you did" problem with the client at the end of the season.

6. jhall22guitar

I personally did 35 accounts one year :dizzy:

We had a binder with numbers, so each picture had the number in it with the damage and was marked on a map :dizzy: Sites ranged from 30 minutes, as we marked other hazards, to one over 5 hours (an account with a Target, LA Fitness, and a restaurant)

7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

so you get it.

So you get it. We service many more accounts but its all relevant. One truck or 50 trucks its time consuming but worth it in our opinion. Good luck as we move forward and Happy Thanksgiving.

8. jhall22guitar

Fully get it, its amazing so see some of the damage that can already be on sites, and I would never want to be blamed for it, and pay to repair it, if it wasn't because of people working for me.

Happy thanksgiving, lets hope for a good winter.