1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

subcontractor BWC certificate

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by lehmand1, Nov 17, 2014.

1. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

Getting some snow now. Hope its enough to piah in the morning.

Anyway, wondering what exactly I need in the way of workers comp here in Ohio.

I am a 1-man sub and have been plowing for the same company for the last 8 years or so. This year, they said they want all their sub's to have a bwc certificate.

Everything I have read tells me it isn't needed as I have no employees, and that they shouldn't require it as I am not an employee, I get a 1099.

So what exactly do I need if anything? And how much is it likely gonna cost me?

Thanks in advance

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If it's like Indiana, you just need a waiver of liability. I think it's 25.00, fill out a form and send it in. Get it back in a few days.

3. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

That may be what it is then.

He said it wast expensive. Maybe like 40-50 bucks. But I didn't want to just take his word for it. He is actually a business with employees, so he has workers comp for them. So not sure how he knows.

4. dieselss

Basically what it is is.
    Your your own business, if you hurt yourself on the job, you can't collect workers comp from the company your employeed by.

5. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

Makes sense. But I wasn't aware I needed a waiver as I though WC only covered employees and not 1099'Ed contractors or sub's...

6. dieselss

Well that's the area that your employer has issues with. Since your just one person you don't need it, but if something happens your not relying on his w.c.
    When he's hiring a company or subs (for whatever) he's got to make sure they have w.c. it's all b/c of the new healthcare system.

7. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Not the new health care. It's because we all get audited by our ins co and part of that audit is employees. Pay someone and the ins co consideres them an employee for workers comp purposes unless it's documented otherwise. Also covers for state laws on W/C.

8. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

There's nothing to it if you don't want coverage for yourself.

Go on BWC's website and sign up, it's 10 bucks up front and then a 50 dollar (administrative) fee in 6 months or something. That's for no coverage on yourself.