1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by drjess, Feb 13, 2006.

1. drjess

drjess Junior Member

Read a post here about someone looking to get started and it was recommended that they start out subcontracting for a reputable contractor.

Next winter will be the first for us and I was wondering how one would go about obtaining subcontracting jobs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Check out the employment/networking forums here.
    Paper, and word of mouth. Word of mouth is best cause you get to find out who pays and who dont.
    PLeassssssssssseeeee stay away from big mangement companys, do some research here about them. They dont pay there subs. What you should do is find someone hourly and work on a team, so you can learn something.
    I do know a few guys from your state on the other site, if you need help.
    Oh and the president of Sima Alan is from your state as well, he employs alot of subs.
    Good luck

3. drjess

drjess Junior Member

thank you for your input...much appreciated!

perhaps i should try to get a hold of the prez to see if he can guide us in our new adventure.
  4. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

depends were you are, we place ad in paper and they come running, however most want some experince before they put you in a commercail lot. we require at least 3 year commercial and must have at least a 8.5ft plow with at least 3/4 ton truck. pay them 35 dollars per hour, must supply own gas or diesil, this is due to the modificatons some make to the truck. Operators are even more stictly montiored, at least 5 years commercial plowing experience, with 3 years with us.
  5. nekos

nekos Senior Member

just look in the paper and phone book, start calling all the snow removal company's you can. at least one will be looking for new drivers .

don't plow for less then $60 an hour. it's not worth it !
    i work for Snow Systems and i make more money in 1 1/2 hour's doing driveways then i do working 12 hours for them. < i get paid $60 an hour BTW >
    add in gas , insurance , maintenance and taxes. i probably make $15 - $20 an hour once all the bills are paid.
    also make sure you have insurance !!! it's not terribly expensive but when something finely does happen your covered .

other then that , it's all just a matter of getting out there and getting your feet wet .

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Kind of low in price there IMHO for what your asking.

Start out the 1st year getting a few drives on your own maybe your local 7-11. Get to know your trucks limits and how to plow. What I did when starting out was look in the paper for who does plow removal in your town. Call them and ask if they need any drivers/contractors. Do not expect top dollar yet even if it is your 2nd year. Get some bigger driveways maybe a couple of 7-11's or a open hotel lot for yourself. Your 3rd year you either got it or you don't. If you are any good the guy that contracted you the year before will call you back and word of mouth will pick you up a couple more on your own.

One thing I wish I started do'ing earlier is salting. Get yourself a tailgate spreader and start learning how much it takes for different sized lots and thinking about adding that to your own service accounts as well.

Plow+truck=decent pay for decent work
    Plow+salter+truck = more pay for not much more work.

I wouldn't't even load salt in the back for $35 bucks a hour so stay away from guys that only want to pay you that. At least $50 a hour starting and up to $100 a hour with experience and a salter.
  7. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

we do alot of plowing a day total we do about 10,000 dollars a day in just plowing. we pay 35 dollars per hour, you figure that the aveage driver does 15 different lots a day takes them about 8 hours to do that is 280 dollars a day, that is more than most people make in one week getting min wage. and 8 hours is not even close to what they work a day most work a full time job until 3 go home sleep for about 5 hours and meet at the complex around 8 and plow until 7 or 8 in the morning. that works out to be 280 dollars reg time plus time and a half and that is 437 dollars for 11 hours of work, and that means that they didnt have to get the cleint, they dont have to bill the client, they dont have to supply the salt, they dont even have to deal with lowballers. pretty good money for having a truck and plow with nothing else. at least i would think so. only a few companies that i know of can produce that kind of profit for there employees.
  8. drjess

drjess Junior Member

thanks for all the excellent advice :)
  9. ssd79

ssd79 Junior Member
    from ct

beacon falls

Where about?
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  10. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Hopefully no rookies are taking your advice about 35.00 per hour because they wont be in business long. At 60 dollars per hour it has been said that the owner is only clearing 15-20 per hour. That figure of 35.00 is ridicilous.
  11. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

For that you wouldn't even get me off the couch to start the jeeps engine!! My time alone is worth more than that, not counting my expenses such as insurance, taxes, fuel, & wear and tear on the vehicle. If I am going to work extra hours, away from my family ,my OT rate at my regular job is higher than what you are quoting, and they supply the truck, fuel, tools, insurance, etc. So you are out of your mind at that price. Even driving YOUR truck for $35 I would be loosing money.
  12. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I wonder if Tri County could send me a few pickups at 35.00 per. I bet his bid price for one is close to double his sub rate. That rate has got my blood boiling!
  13. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

our average bid for one season 60,000 dollars. just to plow then if they want salt they are looking at about 90,000 dollars, take in mine that we are suppling all the salt, the salt trucks, the liquid de-icers, and the paychecks. most people in our company have at least 20 years experience in a plow truck, and of course they make more, around 70 to 80 dollars per hour, that statement was for someone who goes out buys a truck on november 31 with plow already installed at factory, and thinks that he can plow, this way we protect our company he makes money that he wouldnt have made his first year and MOST of all get experience in many types of equipment, from International 4700 salt truck, to front end loaders, to liquid trucks. many people return year after year some go and try to start out on their own but they always come back.
  14. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

finall two cents

orlando,brunos place i forgot to add this how many accounts do you have i would say at the most 20 probably mostly drives right. We have at 250 large complexes that we do. we employee 100 people ( 25 full time drivers for our loaders, salt trucks, and snow removal) the rest are subs. and to be really honest if you can make more than 400 dollars a day doing drives. do the math guys 400 a day X lets say 3 days a week = 1200 dollars X 4 weeks in one month = 4800 dollars. now take that number for just one person and mutliply that by 100 and that is what...480,000 thats more than you make in the whole year at both your jobs probably. just a little larger reason we only pay 35 dollars per hour.
  15. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

drjess: You should check with a few snow removal companies regarding their sub rates before subbing for someone. Also, it's a good idea to check with your city or town highway dept. to find out what they pay subs to plow the roads. As you're in CT, my guess will be that the going rate will be between $50/hour to $75/hour for a 3/4 ton truck with an 8 foot blade. Good luck on your new adventure :)
  16. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Tri County, you know nothing about how many accounts I have and it is none of your business. You can spew all the numbers you want but the bottom line is 35.00 per is a joke. You like to talk about how big you are yet do you think anyone will have any oppportunity to grow themselves at that pathetic rate? I think not. You are paying 70-80 per for drivers in your equipment? Let me get my hip waders out of the closet before you tell any more about your business. Once again you know nothing of my accounts and what I gross, so dont assume anything pal.
  17. nekos

nekos Senior Member

$400 a day - 100 for gas - %30 or $120 for uncle sam - $10 per day for insurance - $20 depreation on truck and plow - $5 coffee - $200 for missing work the next day because your to damn tired to do any thing other then sleep = -$55 a day X3 = -$165 per week x 4 = < drum roll > -$660 a month .
    can i please come work for you ? please !?!?!?

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

19. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I know people around here who pay more than that for a quad with a plow on it..........$35 an hour hahahahahahahahahahahah I make that driving someone elses truck!!!!
  20. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

Tri-County, tell you what, you come here and plow my lots and drives, with your truck, I'll pay you $35 per hour. I'll stay warm in the house, not start my truck, and still make a damn nice profit!! payup