1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subcontracting?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by M-Pact Snow, Feb 3, 2005.

1. M-Pact Snow

M-Pact Snow Junior Member

I Already Subcontract For 1 Person (who Is My Friend) But There Is Not Much To Do, Would It Be In My Best Interest To Sub With Others Also Or Just Leave It Be?

ALSO IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN HELP IN NORTHEASTERN OHIO PLEASE E-MAIL ME MPACTSNOW@YAHOO.COM

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  2. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Subcontracting

I have 2 subcontractors. We finish all my contracts in about 4 hours. I have no problem with them pursuing more business as long as they honor their non-competition contracts.

3. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I would think YOUR best interest would be to pursue making more money. However, I would make sure to honor your deal/pact/gentlemen's agreement/word you have with your friend. IMO, your best bet would be to let your friend now what you are going to do. Just a better business practice..again IMO.

When subcontracting it is best to work something out with the contractor. In other words, have a trigger depth in which you are guaranteed three hours work or something else along these lines. Or, go with a contractor that has a greater need for you.

4. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Remember this when subcontracting.....

Federal guidelines are very specific about who is an "employee" and who is an independant contractor.

Employees are under the direction of the company they work for.

Subs are not. They (subs) make their own schedule.

Make sure you have documented all work performed by subs or the feds will consider them employees and make the company responsible for back taxes etc.