1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

subcontracting questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04superduty, Mar 3, 2005.

1. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I am a sub who works for the company for the rest of the year doing sprinkler installs. now here is my question for all you subs out there. Do you usually get a little warning that you need to go out and plow or do you just get a call to start plowing? Usually if it snows i expect that i will need to go out and start plowing at midnight. its the morning snow thats a pain. I will get a call out of know where from my boss saying he has gotten some calls and needs help with the commercial accounts. I go out but usually only for a 2-4 hrs. then its back home for 3-4 then out again at midnight.
    Basically i am wondering if this is normal. it is getting to be a pain, never getting a notice, like a call ahead a few hrs. so i can plan at lets say 3 pm i am going to start my route. now its, go start your truck up go plowing. ok i am done, winning, what does everyone else think? and yes i know that this is part of the whole snow plowing thing, being on call 24/7. :)

2. scagster

scagster Member
    from n.ohio

we use subs as well as our own empoyees, sometime with moring snow it is hard to give the guys a heads up call, but i know what you mean as i have been on both sides of this situation

3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I was a sub for 5 yrs. and would get the call when needed but they had enough accounts to keep me busy for the entire snowfall. I no longer sub

4. GSE

GSE Senior Member

I normally call the guys 24 hours before and let them know that something is coming so they can rest up. Once it gets closer, I typically give them 4 to 8 hours notice, but it all depends on the time of day, amount of snow and accuracy of the weather people. I also give them the option of just calling them in as needed, so they can get as much sleep as possible.

5. 04superduty

sounds like its not too bad for me. lucky for my boss everytime he has called me in to plow i have been home. If i went to town it could be 1 or 2 hrs before i could be ready to plow.
    and trying to tell my boss that i would like him to call a head a little would be useless. he is kind of forgetful.

6. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

I'm usually talking with the guy I work for everyday. If it looks like work then hell call me at around 7pm and let me know to meet him at 2am. If its a surprise storm then I get a call and he says "the tractors started and start here" This has only happened 2 times this year. And the one time I was driving around checking out the spots we do.

7. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

My boss usually calls me 24 hours before we are supposed to get any snow then when the weather man give a better idea of how much snow is to be expected then he will call me and tell me to be ready at such a such time then i get up and go.

8. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

i try to call my guys as early as i can but we all watch the radar and have a feal of what the storms are going to do. My job is to watch out for the storm and let my drivers get the sleep and thats why they like working for me iam up at all hours watching radar weather channel ect.and they get to have a normal life LOL... :redbounce

9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

You could be proactive and call him when there's a storm coming. That's clearly not your responsibility as a sub, but at least it allows you to plan ahead.

jp

10. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

11. 04superduty

i have tried that but it doesnt seem to help. he will say that we will be going out later but not give any definite time. I am the only sub, the rest of the guys drive company trucks. They all have said the same thing tough. HE will call and say be ready ASAP to go out and plow.
    It will be interesting next year, since my now wife is expecting a kid in September. If he calls up it will take a long time to get a sitter lined up so i can go and plow.
    Thanks for letting me vent on this one. it just is a pain in the arse that he never things ahead about me, since technically i am his only worker. the other guys do lawn mowing and have a different boss. i do the sprinkler install which he usually isnt there for. lol, gotta love life.
    It doesnt matter much now since my truck is in the shop until probably tuesday or wednesday.

12. 3dbbok

3dbbok Junior Member
    from IL

Plowing snow is it's own animal. Predicting what time to start is in another universe. If I tell my employees to be in at midnight and the weather is totally diferent than predicted,as in no snow, then what? Our employees love to work in snow and know as much about the weather as I do which is, whatever happens and whenever, we deal with it.

Best you can do is keep up with predictions and get some rest while the boss looses some sleep wondering where that storm got lost and if it will hit or not.

If anyone knows where to get a crystal ball that works, drop me a line, I'll order a pair. LOL

13. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I get a call when it supposed to snow, then when its snowing I get another with a time to start plowing, only thing that changes is if I wake up and there is no snow then I dont go out, that happened once in 9 years.

The boss calls me and tells me as far in advance as he can, then he informs me that unless I get a call from him cancelling then to start plowing at the time he tells me, once again- the plan changed once in 9 years because there was only about a inch on the ground and it stopped when it was predicted to get 4-6" and I do have a spreader, all they did was throw some salt down.