1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subcontracting Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John R. Smith, Jun 27, 2001.

1. John R. Smith

John R. Smith Junior Member

I'm thinking of buying a truck/plow and subcontracing my services to a snowplowing service.

How much could I expect to make per season in the nothern lake effect belts around syracuse-watertown?
    Just a ball park figure please.

Also, do they pay extra for specialized vehicles(if there are any) for snow removal?

Finally, if anyone has done this before, please give me your opinions and if its hard to find a company that wants to subcontract on a regular basis?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Hi, John. Welcome to PlowSite. For your question, I'd suggest going to the top of the page and clicking on the blue Search button. Look up "subcontracting" by searchword and read away. I'd think it would be fairly easy to find a company you could sub for. Yes, they'll pay extra for specialized equipment.

3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

John,
    I know some contractors up in that area I can refer you to if you like. Email me directly if interested and I'll supply you with some contacts you can chat with.

I would guess that in that market you should be able to make well in excess of $7000+ in a given winter... more with specialized equipment....

That's a guess and not a promise.

4. John R. Smith

John R. Smith Junior Member

Would I need liability insurance since I'm independent?

5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Yes.
    However Comprehensive General Liability usually isn't very expensive. Check with Erie Insurance (I think they are in your market). Here it cost's our subs about $150 per year for $300,000 in coverage, and Erie Insurance knows what the coverage is for.