1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subcontract and salt pricing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lawnprolawns, Nov 20, 2008.

1. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

Two questions.

What are you guys getting paid as subcontractors, or paying your subcontractors? I'm in SE MI, I dont know if that matters. Looking at doing a subdivision for another local maintenance company, and need to be competitive but still make some $$. They said it ought to be a three hour job, maybe 4 in a heavier snow. Roads are nice and smooth, nothing too tricky. These guys are friends too, so I want to bid accordingly, and not hope to get rich and rip them off.

Also, I'll be spreading bagged salt. Buying a pallet, I get 30 80# bags for 170. That's about 5.60 per bag.

This particular job is going to require about .75 to 1 pallet per app. I've had some tell me double the price you pay, some say triple, but what do you guys charge when spreading salt, either bagged or bulk?

Fast help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

YPLLLC Senior Member

I am also wondering this, can anybody help us!!!!
  3. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i charge roughly 3-3.5 times the price for bagged, spreaders aren't cheap. I also have a $50 minimum.
  4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

you should be making $50 to $75 per hour for plowing and i charge $.20 per lb and up depending for salt.