1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by wfd44, May 7, 2004.

1. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I am thinking about trying some subbing next year. I am new to the business side of plowing. If working as a subcontractor would I need insurance for liability if someone falls at a property I plowed or does that liability fall to the person with the actual contract in which case I need only be insures for damage/traffic accidents.

Due to my work schedule with my primary job it is tough for me to take on much plowing on my own. Any suggestions? Any body in my area looking t put on a sub/spare for the coming year?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

As a sub, you should have your own General Liability insurance. Otherwise, you could claim being an employee (this is one of the IRS guidelines to distinquish a sub from an employee). Also, if there is a claim for damages, the lawyer is going to name everyone involved on the lawsuit. You want an insurance company on your side.

Regarding subbing, that's a good idea in your situation. I search your past posts and it appears you are in southern Cumberland county, correct? You might contact some of the larger landscapers in your area for leads. Email me at Mick.J.Smith@att.net and I might have a couple of leads for you. Be sure and ID yourself in your email.