1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subbing with your equiptment

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by vis, Feb 6, 2006.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

If i was to use my own truck and plow, what should i look for per hour for plowing parking lots working for some one else?

Is per hour the best way to go or by the account. Mainly Commercial accounts, but some residentials thrown in the mix.

Plowing with an 05 f250 8ft fisher MM2
    thanks

2. mr.plow 2

mr.plow 2 Member

Around here you get 70-100 depends on how much you know:salute:

3. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

$100/hr for a 3/4 ton & plow? Unheard of in my parts!

around here.. $55-70/hr for 3/4 ton & plow

4. dutchman

dutchman Senior Member

Maybe if they have there own truck but not if they use my truck. I would buy a other truck and hire somebody than sub it out. I don't have to many customers so maybe I don't know what I am talking about.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Going rate is $65 an hour this year. Seem to drop from $70 last year. Guess its to many yuppies with plow trucks driving the price down.

6. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

I get $85/ hour (his insurance). And I'm using my Tahoe and 7.5 Blizzard! Small truck and small blade. I'd probably be getting over $100 for a bigger truck and blade. :cool:

7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Those are great rates VA plow....What are your triggers and how much work do you have?

8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i have one sub and he gets $50 per hour for a 80 hp bobcat skid laoder and 9 foot blade. i fuel him up when needed. by the time i pay work comp and fuel i loose money on the hourly but make it up in the per push.

9. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

90 Hp?

What bobcat is that high hp?

I've got a 773 and its only 46hp.

Is this maybe a 963 model?

10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

not sure which has 90 hp? his is an 873 turbo with 74 hp(i was off 6 ponies), his will out push our 80 hp gehl(6635 turbo)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  11. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

s300 has an 81hp turbo diesel

12. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

If you are subbing to someone using your equipment, then that is not a sub. That is an employee. Subs need their own equipment, their own insurance, and pay their own repairs according to the professionals I have talked to (my accountant, lawyer, and insurance man). If they are going to sub for you and don't provide insurance then it goes on your insurance because they are considered your employee according to my insurance guy. That may differ state to state. If they are using your equipment, then you better have paperwork drawn up showing they are leasing your equipment off of you in order to not be your employee according to my accountant. There are a lot of variables with subcontractors to make sure they are a subcontractor and not an employee. Make sure you have your ducks in a row if you sub out work. I am not claiming to be an expert by any means, but this is what i need to do to keep my insurance company happy, and my accountant happy with payroll issues (including workers compensation and payroll taxes).

13. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Amen to that. Love that workers comp audit every august. If there is a name in the ledger without a 1099, and insurance certificate to go with it I pay comp period. The insurance carrier does not play games with this, and they have a no exceptions policy.

As far as rates go you need to specify were your located. They vary wildly from region to region. You will here about 100 an hour and 25 an hour. The guys getting tall money usually dont get alot of hours so it is offset. Our Chicago land region varies from 50 to about 75 tops for a pickup and 8' blade.
    That is also for hourly pay, not drop time only. Many guys claim big money but they dont get paid driving across town for 1/2 an hour to the next site.
    The guys in DC are probably lucky to see 20 hours in a good year so you understand how they get 85 for a lil truck and blade. Guys in Erie get 30 :eek: and probably see 200 hours so I guess they think they are coming out ahead. If you think 30 was a typo it is not, thank SMG and other management company's for destroying there rates.
    Todd

14. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

I have 31 accounts and have 2 sub drivers with there trucks. I pay 40.00 per hour and 1 of them has been with me for along time i buy his fuel also. And by the way i charge 60.00 per hour and one of the most expensive plowers in my area. I would love to take my truck to a area and get 100 i would go out of my reg. bus. real quick.

mike

15. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a little curious on this whole sub thing. It would be do-diligence for the owner of the accounts to maintain the insurance, regardless. That liability insurance should not affect the status of a sub and employee. When I owned a technicall consulting company I had 1099's and maintained professional liability insurance and required the worker maintain his workers comp, etc. This was perfectly legit in Il and the other states I sold into too. Maybe some CPA's/Lawyers/etc. are just being overly causious - heck it's only money and the policy is relativly cheap compared to damages and fines you could get, I guess.