1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subbing Out

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redman6565, Nov 7, 2008.

1. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

For those of you that hire subs on your lots, do you ever worry about customers pulling onto your lot and seeing someone else's vehicles with their own lettering rather than your own? Or am i just worrying about the nitty gritty and just not seeing the overall big picture?

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes,you should worry some if any of those subcontractors are known to your clients as slimeballs,con artists, or just plain poor plowers.Something in reverse happened to me years ago---I rented my bulldozer bare{without operator and my business name on the rig} to this guy for 2 days.Apparently, he did such a poor job final grading that app. 2 years later,I get questioned by a large developer asking why I did such a terrible job on his friend's subdivision.He'd like to use me but has concerns.It took some convincing,but I did get the gig.

3. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

Yeh, 3:00 am they drive thru the lot. Sure............

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

They may call the number on the truck next year, would be what I would worry about. Especially if he is doing s great job and the customer is happy.

5. scitown

scitown Senior Member

lawn subs around here (only one company I know of subs) have signs stuck to the truck with the company name on them. Kinda sad looking when a truck has one magnet sign but it still says the primary company name on it. I could never sub anything out Im way to picky.

6. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

My customers know that I use subcontractors for snow plowing. I would not want to own twelve trucks, maintain them and find drivers. They also sign a very detailed contract each year regarding noncompete, insurance etc.

7. redman6565

i guess i fell similar. its not that i dont trust guys to show up because i know quite a few tha would be reliable as hell and would do good job, i just think it doesnt look good when customers pull up and "so and so" instead of Redman Construction...thats my only thing. I thought about making magnet signs but then i thought id be insulting the guys if ask to help plow if i gave them a magnet...

8. schuitb

schuitb Member

Insulted?.

Last year i subbed two condo complex's and had my own lots aswell.. I wondered if the other guy was going to make me put a sign on my truck or if I had one (I don't) take it off.. That issue never came up but when I chatted with a few residents and told them I was a sub as the contracted company was 45 mins. away I was "repremanded" by the actual contractor.

My answer i guess is that i would be insulted if I had to put a sign on my truck because I had my own contracts myself.
    If i subbed exclusivly for a plow company then i would not have a problem with the sign.. Now that i have enough of my own business this year and subbed a truck out myself i would want a sign on that truck in my lot.. It is worth the advertising exposure.

9. redman6565

ya thats what ive been debating. the whole point of getting your stuff lettered is so people see you and your company but then again when you are working for someone else and they see you and not the contractor then in my eyes, it doesnt look good for the contractor. i mean on my 40 acre lot we plow, if i have 4 loaders, a 6 wheel dump, a skid steer and a pickup (all with my lettering) and one guy with his own pickup with his own lettering, it'll look bad, makes me look like i cant staff the lot with my own mahinery and creates doubt in my customers eyes.