1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subbing for Brickman in Indiana

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CHCSnowman, Nov 18, 2010.

1. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

Any of you guys ever subbed for Brickman? How does that work......do they hire numerous individuals to service accounts or do they hire big companies who in turn hire smaller subs? Any input appreciated!

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

What they do around here is throw a cutthroat number on a site in order to take it from a bigger company.....then offer a stupid number to smaller companies.

The smaller guys who know their numbers realize it can't be done for that.

Guys who don't know their numbers take it on and learn lessons.

Not saying that everything they offer is a losing proposition....but many attractive properties around here will be losers for those who take them on.

Their guy around here either doesn't know numbers, or must be behind in his numbers reporting back to corporate. It's the way for to him to say look how much work I brought in. :laughing:

It's a typical numbers game lower/mid level Brickman managers play with corporate. Looking forward on one particular property around here to crash and burn. I'm confident there are others.:nod:
  3. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Not sure what they pay as subcontractor through a branch but when we checked last it wasn't the highest around....

Check these guys out if you needing work still: www.circlecitysnowandice.com
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  4. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks guys..that is basically what they done to a couple of our accounts. We have had accounts for years and Brickman came in and bid them at next to nothing, as much as 80% less. 3 good snows and they will be out of profit.......I was just wondering how they do it.

Mullis.....I sent an email the other day to Circle City and I just seen this morning where you guys responded. I have to go to work now but I will send you an email when I get back in this afternoon. My name is Randy and my email is SSRB87@Yahoo.com

5. TSherman

TSherman Member

I did some work for brickman and liked the money for the work. $75 an hour (I was the sub of a sub of Brickman) and we started when the snow started. I never pushed more than 2" of snow.
  6. slave2lawns

slave2lawns Member

Wow, then they had to have come in on the bid @ a good number. Between paying you, the other sub plus, their overhead.

Then again I also herd that they come up with bids so low that they dont sound right. We see them in Jersey and Philly.
  7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Their low bids sound fine , for their business model , they want to lock in the customer , snow can be a loss leader for them . They have the full grounds maintenance . Most of the guys that plow think in a 25 mile radius at most from their house . The national companies think country wide , thousand miles , doesnt matter to them .
  8. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Their Snow Prices are the Lowest in town....Their Mowing Prices are the Lowest in Town..Their fertilizing prices are the Lowest in town...Thats Alot of Loss Leaders...Where are all these Losses leading?????
  9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

But they keep getting bigger , and have been in business since the 60's , I not singing their praises , but they have a system that works for them