1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Subaru Forester good to push a SnowSport plow?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by bionicon, Dec 7, 2008.

1. bionicon

bionicon Junior Member

Im considering to buy a larger car to be able to plow our flat frontyard, straight out from the garage. Is anyone using a Snowsport on a non turbo Forester? is it heavy and powerfull enough?
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

How much snow are you going to push?
  3. bionicon

bionicon Junior Member

Well, extreme snowfalls are rare up here, but last year we got close to 6 meters during the winter. usually unot over 50cm over one night, but around 90cm at one occasion.
    I understand that I might have to go up and plow a bit earlier under a snowfall with a Forester then a heavier SUV. My main concern are that the next steps up from a Subaru usually don't have such good 4x4 system, and low-gear. (any suggestions)
    I just found out that the automatic gear Foresters don't have low gear either. So I would like to hear if anyone are using a non turbo, automatic gear Forester for plowing.
  4. bionicon

bionicon Junior Member

I forgot to mention that I need to push the snow about 15-20 meters, going straight out of the garage.
  5. mercer_me

I don't think your little car can plow snow JMO.
  6. MLLC

MLLC Member
    from MA

i never thought of a Subaru forester as an SUV. but a jeep liberty has a much, much better 4x4 systems, as do many mid size SUV's. The toyota highlander, the GMC envoy, Acadia, Chevy Tahoe, Suzuki grand vitara, all have equal or better 4x4 systems
  7. Blackk5350

Blackk5350 Junior Member

wouldnt it be cheaper to buy a plow for a riding lawnmower/atv. OR buy a four wheeler and get a plow and save your car and some money. just a thought
  8. bionicon

bionicon Junior Member

I don't have room or use for another vehicle.
    I was considering the Forester because i don't need more offroad capability and loading space, and the Forester have a low gear to.
  9. bionicon

bionicon Junior Member

The Grand Vitara is also on my list.
    The Highlander dont have low-gear. And the others are to large and heavy for my needs.
  10. Blackk5350

Blackk5350 Junior Member

i would shy away from those ideas. Im not a professional but i would not do that. just shovel it off. or pay someone to do it. its not worth all the hassle of buying a plow mounting it ect. plus your front end would most likely drag the ground. SO ts kind of out of the question. am i right guys im just trying to use common sense here
  11. mercer_me

If you want to plow you need a truck or SUV not a car. A riding lawnmower would work better than a Forester JMO.
  12. PA-plow-at-home

PA-plow-at-home Member

The SnowSport plow set-up weighs roughly 225-pounds (according to the SnowSport website), and mounts onto your vehicle by way of a front mounted tow-style hitch receiver.
    What will you connect that front tow-style hitch receiver to?
    Your Forester doesn't have a frame to install that front receiver to.

The Forester is a "unibody" vehicle, which means it does not have a true frame upon which a plow can be properly mounted. Some unibody Jeeps could get away with it, but most unibody vehicles cannot.

The front "frame" area of your Forester is a subframe which is only meant to carry the weight of your drivetrain etc, and is designed to collapse/crush forward-backward in a crash. The few times that you see light bars or bull bars on Foresters or other Subaru's or other unibody vehicles, those things are typically mounted to the radiator support, and they cannot withstand the forces of the 225-pound SnowSport unit while plowing.

If you must use your Forester for your plowing, you should use a V-shaped plow that is pushed by your front bumper. The V-shape exerts a lot less force onto your vehicle because it is always moving snow off to the sides, rather than pushing the weight of a lot of snow forward. There was a consumer plow company in Pittsburgh called Solotec, that made such a plow. It was fairly lightweight (made from a heavy duty plastic), and it "attached" to the front of the vehicle by way of seatbelt-like straps. The plow rode along the ground, and was not lifted in any way by the vehicle. It had replaceable cutting edges, and removable higher sections for vehicles that are higher up.
    I bought one of those Solotec plows just before that company disappeared, and I used it with my Subaru Baja. My grass cutting guy plows for me now, so I haven't used the Solotec plow in a while, but when I used it, it worked well. The downsides are that you really can't back up too far with it, or the straps may come off. You need to just go forward with it. You can turn with it, but trying to plow while turning does not work real well. You just need to make some straight passes. And you need to use it before the snow turns to ice. I used it once when the snow (about 12-inches deep) became like crunchy ice, and the Solotec worked, and didn't harm the plow, but the snow/ice was so stiff that it would cause the straps to pull away from the vehicle. So the next time I learned to use the Solotec while the snow was still in a condition that a person could shovel it (meaning that the snow is fresh). If you can shovel the snow (even 15-18 inches deep), then the Solotec can plow it. But if the snow is covered in a layer of ice, or if you wait two days and all the snow turns to hard icy snow, then the Solotec will not be able to plow it.
    Here is a link to a discussion (with photos) about it on a Subaru enthusiast forum:
    Scroll down that page to see the blue Subaru Baja with the Solotec plow.

If you can't put a SnowSport on your Forester (because of the need to mount a front receiver), then either look at getting a used Solotec plow (they should be cheap enough, when you can find them), or you'll have to get a different vehicle.

Good luck.
  13. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Ok...so this is the second time I heard the name "snow sport", I just did a google search...

If anybody ever suggests using something like that... just role up a newspaper and smack them firmly on the nose and say "NO" :nono:

...Also, SUBARU and SNOW PLOW are three words that I hope to never hear in the same sentence again...:eek:

...But if you do put that set up together, please do a video so we can all enjoy it :D
  14. Blackk5350

Blackk5350 Junior Member

DO NOT BUY A SNOW PLOW FOR YOUR SUBARU!!! #1 im sure it wouldnt work very well and 2 it would be both embarrassing and a waste of money when your to lazy to go plow your own snow a few times. i plowed a 75ft driveway last winter by myself. with a plastic snow shovel so BWAAAA.
  15. bionicon

bionicon Junior Member

Keep paying the farmers to do it is not an opton when the costs has rised to $300 for 12 times (I think the was clering snow over 20 times last winter!)

I see the limit of front mounting a plow on a unibody. But my plan is to do it in reverse. I think it would work fine to clear our driveway with the hitch mounted blade, because we have a wide garage door, and alot of space to pusgh the snow into.
    Is it a RAV4 or a CR-V they use here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=247DuMwCI6s and here http://www.agricover.com/index.php/products/category/C100/

CR-V :1.529 kg. RAV4: 1.538 kg. but dont have any low gear.
    The Forester is 1.423 kg. and have low gear.. I'm still not convinced a Forester is a bad idea, so keep on :gunsfiring: :yow!:
  16. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

From the very little experience I have with clearing snow, I don't think it'd be a great idea to put any plow on that vehicle.

While the rear axle may have enough weight to hold up one of those while pushing in reverse, you said you're clearing grass, if that's true the SnowSport may be a big problem.

Before I knew what they were about I did some looking into one, thought I might put one on my truck because I thought it was a normal plow...boy, was I wrong. According to their website, it's mounted to it's frame in a way that it free-floats over the ground. Unlike heavier plows that stay on the ground, or even lightweight regular plows (like the Homesteader or Suburbanite, neither of which you could mount), it floats, kinda, is what I gather from their information. If you're trying to push snow with one of those over grass, I think you'd end up having to go back over it again with a shovel or a snowblower anyway.

By the sounds of it, it'd be more worth your money to pay somebody to do it if you can't. If you can do it, I'd suggest getting a snow blower, or a good shovel. If you can't, hire a farmer or a plower to do it. Heck, you could probably even find a guy like (17 year old kid with a shovel) who would do it for cheap somewhere close to ya.
  17. bionicon

bionicon Junior Member

Cant remembre mentioning grass? Our drive way is har gravel..
  18. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

You people crack me up!! A plow on a station wagon!!! Come on people, wheres the common sense?? Better idea, go buy a snowblower bungee cord it to your front bumper, start and go!
  19. Blackk5350

Blackk5350 Junior Member

I dont understand you. you come on here asking for peoples opinion than argue with them. DO NOT PUT A PLOW ON YOUR SUBARU THAT IS STUPID. i will laugh when the thing breaks in half. do not do it. use a shovel. you amazingly lazy if you cant shovel your own drive way.
  20. bionicon

bionicon Junior Member

Yeah! i agree! Im gona build me a second garage and buy me a Dodge 2500 6.7 cummins, or something large. Wow! i will clear my 5x15 squ.m. frontyard in no time. F**k-Yeah! ussmileyflag