1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub wants $250 an hr.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DeereGuy, Jan 5, 2008.

1. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

So I was in a bind the other day. I had sold my X-Blade on Sat and scheduled a Fisher x-v install on Mon. 7am. Of course the weather doesn't cooperate and it snows 4-5 inches and then rains an inch. So we're left with 2" of mess. The guys who I call first are down a plow and so they can't help. I call the guy I purchase salt from at 8am knowing that he's probably not selling that much salt as it is warm out now.

I ask if he will plow a very small business first then the entrances to two lots that are next to each other to hold them over til I get there in 90 minutes. He agrees saying he has two lots in front of me. We don't talk price but I know that this should only take about 30-40 minutes.

I call the small business to check if he did them an hour later and they tell me that he came but didn't do anything. I leave the plow dealer at 9:40. The other two businesses open at 9 and 10am. One calls twice before I reach it with employee access concerns and what does my contract includes. I call the Salt guy and ask how he's doing. He tells me I'm all set and he cleared the two big lots and the entrance to the small lot, acknowledging that he wasn't asked to but did it anyway.

Well, I'm happy to have the bases covered as my big lot is closed for the day. It's new years eve. I tell him I'll settle with him later.

I purchase a yd of mix a day later and ask him how much. He won't say, so I offer what I think is a very reasonable $200. for a requested 40 min of work on short notice. He says no, that $250. would be the min he would accept saying he worked for 1.5 hrs. Well, I stammer and say that thats more than I made on the job relating what 2" of removal make me. Not being there to measure what was pushed that is what I would charge. He states that my 2-6" price for lot is x; and he is right. So... is he talking shop with my client while working on my dime. I am pretty much done and decide to write the check and leave before I say or do something I might regret. He's probably on this site which is fine. No problem. Am I being rediculous or should I never do business with this guy again? The simple fact that he's willing to overcharge a consistent paying salt customer tells me he is not all there or just young and foolish. His first year in that business. Any thoughts. It's really not the $ but the fact that he knew my numbers and felt he was entitled to every cent even though I had to do the lots again.

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

my couzin is the same way hes a moron. between him and my deductable these last 2 storms i didnt make a cent this winter and its barely even started. to be honest id find some place eles to get my salt. and next year i will have 2 of my own trucks and my couzin will have no ties to me. i make 65 an hour on emergancy call from a guy any other time its 40. i guess the cost of running a company is huge and alot of poeple will walk on u. next time ask how much they want up front

3. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Seeing that you had to plow the lots again:dizzy:, & had to pay him more than what you make per time of plowing that lot, you are definetely in the hole. So think about what would the advantage be to you??? If your not making profit, why bother?

4. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Since he plowed for you while you were in a bind...just give him what he wants and be done with him...the fact that he knew your numbers is another thing...your client and he had a discussion at your expense...in this business, as I'm quickly finding out...it's a dog eat dog world out there...

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

That is just sheer greed. not only that, but you can about anticipate on losing this account to this guy next year. He will be bidding it. you will never know,...He won't tell you,...and your customer won't tell you, because he's just looking to save a buck. However,...it DOES beg the question...how did this conversation ever even arise? you can bet it was asked by your salt guy. he is going to rip you off, and your customer is very liable to sell you out.
    I would go and talk to this customer, and ask him what price he told this guy (salt guy) he was paying. Don't ask him if he told him a price,......ask him WHAT price he TOLD him.

6. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

I doubt that since he had to go back and do the lots over again.

7. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

You learned a valuable lesson. Lucky you!

8. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

You could always kill him , that way you dont have to pay him or worry about loosing your account

9. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Everyone on this site is so negative. You still have the account right? This guy did you a favor. Pay him, hopefully dont get stuck in a bind again. Set up a back up back up guy in case it ever happends again, but with a set price. Just remember if this guy had said no I wont do it, you may have lost the account.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He already does buisiness with him. If it was just some guy that walked off the street looking for help, that would be different. Plus if the guy just had of said don't worry about it, he would have had a salt customer for life. It gives you a good feeling when you help somebody out, there is no need to gouge anyone.

11. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I think it serves you right for selling your old plow before you had the new one mounted onto you truck

You got caught with you pants down face it.

Peterbilt

12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Correct.

That is my response as well.

I had a situation like this about 7-8 years ago.

Had a commercial lot that took me about an hour to plow. At that time I was getting $300 / month to service.

I had 2 trucks, and we had 10" of snow. Both plows went down at 6 am, and I was scrambling to get stuff done. I called a guy that I sub landscaping work to and he said yep, get to it in about an hour, hour and a half.

I call the account, tell them what's going on, that someone will be there in about 2 hours and that it should be taken care of.

I get the bill 2 weeks later, $350.

What was I to do?? I couldn't get the account done, someone else had to do it in an emergency.

Now I have 3 trucks and 4 other guys I can call where we have pricing worked out before hand if I get in a bind.

If the guy is young, whatever, he just flat out may not know what to have charged you.

He knew you were in a bind. He might have been going to say $50 more than whatever price you threw out to begin with.

FWIW, I don't sub work to that guy anymore either.

13. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

I have to agree with Peterbilt. It sucks but what are you going to do... Learn from it and move on, your lucky it was only that much, i know plenty of people who get screwed out of thousands of dollars.

It sucks to have to face it, but hey no one said life didn't suck sometimes.

14. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

what is there to worry about he got you out of a bind and kept your customers happy. so you didn't make any money but atleast you didn't piss off your customers

15. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I don't see a big deal either.

Almost everyone I read on here say they would charge extra if a new customer called when it was snowing.

I would be upset at the talk they had though about what is being paid.

How did this place even know this guy did not work for you unless he brought it up?

I would never deal with or have anything to do with him again even if it meant paying more for salt.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  16. Runner

Runner Senior Member

What does Deereguy having to go in and plow this lot again have to do with this salt guy and this prop owner dealing him out on a lower price?:dizzy:

17. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Shame on you for not having a back up plan. I cant tell you how many times I get accounts cause people like you leave the customer i n a bind. You are lucky you still have them this year let along worrying about next season. If my customers got to work in the AM and saw their not plowed, it would be the last time. I would BE FIRED.. In fact in an attempt to keep the account I wouldnt even charge them for the late service that I overpayed some one who bailed my but out.
    This is a lesson learned, be glad it didnt cost more than it did.
    Be a professionial.
    Dino

18. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I would pay him. (he did do it on short notice, etc)
    BUT
    i wouldn't be buying salt from him anymore.
    I rub your back, you rub mine. If he doesn't want to do that, fine, find another supplier
    It's business, that's just ridiculous.
    Business is about relationships, I guess he burned a bridge.

19. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Like JD said, No need to gouge! But the thing is the sub apparently did not do a good job because DeereGuy had to go & plow the entire lot again:confused: :dizzy:

20. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

AM I ONLY THE ONLY PERSON HERE THAT THINKS DEEREGUY SHOULD HAVE TALKED PRICE FIRST WITH A PERSON WHO AND I QUOTE "IS NEW AND IN BUSINESS FOR A YEAR" TOO COMPLAIN WITHOUT DOING SO IS GETTING YOU NO WHERE I WOULD SAY BEING DISAPPOINTED AND LEARNING A VALUABLE LESSON IS MY POINT AND CALL IT WATER UNDER THE BRIDGE YOU STILL HAVE YOUR ACCOUNTS MOVE ON AND HAVE A COUPLE:drinkup: