1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub Rates

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wfd44, Aug 8, 2004.

1. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I am thinking about signing on as a sub this winter. I am trying to find out what the going rates are particularly in my area. Also is it common to hire on subs as "extras" not necessarily for every storm but as needed for larger "snow events"?

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

in nebraska a straight blade with a couple years experiance goes for 40-45 an hour. we hire both full season and backup drivers.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

In the southern part of Maine, where I think you're from, you'll probably get about the same as Karl. Up here, I'd probably get a lot less. As far as sporadic plowing, like for "larger snow events", I'd say you could probably do that, but if you have any accounts of your own, I'd think that would take up your time. Most contractors will want you during and right after the storm. I know that's what happened here a couple of years ago. The contractor who has the town stopped me on the road and asked if I was interested but I was way too busy to even consider it.

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Mick and Karl, thanks for the help. I am not necessarily plowing to make a living. I am a full time Firefighter so that schedule seriously impacts my ability to do much with accounts of my own. I will be doing a few family members and maybe some friends that will be able to understand the restrictions of my work schedule and can "get out" on their own and get plowed out later. My plan is to sub with a friend who does landscaping and plowing possibly to cover him when he is working (also a Firefiighter) and for large storms as additional help. The other option common with firefighters who also plow is to cover each others accounts when one or another are working.

5. winterangel

winterangel Member
    from Ohio

Newby here, far as the forums, Second year at plowing.
    What's the rate's going for this season, in Ohio?

6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

$55-90 depending on rig and experience