1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub rates, Is this right

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by progmc, Nov 15, 2004.

1. progmc

progmc Member

Well here is the deal, a guy I know wants to sub out two of his four kwik trips (gas staion) to me. I think that they will take a hour each. Just a guess. Any ways he said that the one he will give me $30 and the other will be $40. Now these may need to be plowed a few times in a day depending, They need it done every 2". Is that a fair price or should I tell him that im not interested? These lots are just the average size gas station size. Thanks for any help.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I would make sure that he knows that you get paid EVERY time you go back.

3. progmc

progmc Member

Yes he knows that but does the $70 for doing the two of them seem fair? They are about 3 miles apart. I thought that it seemed kind of low but I guess that it is work. Thanks for the reply

4. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Are you talking $30-$40. per push I hope. Does your insurance cover you for gas stations? And, do you carry enough! I mean what can go wrong, right. :eek:

If it is a 1 hour job for you and your truck then that would be on the low side for my neck of the woods. If the truck is his then it's your call on what you need to be paid. Just my initial thoughts with not enough info.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Progmc
    You said they are going to take you a hour each. Thats way to low ( unless you are plowing with Wal-Mart).

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

@ an hour each you wil be loosing money eather you have to do them faster or get paid more. Remember they will be full of cars. people are rude and don't care if they block you when plowing but they are the ones that pay the bills in the end so you have to be kind to them.

7. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

They probably won't take but half that time after you've done them a couple of times. If they're the same size as Northeast stations.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  8. If that's all he's paying, then he must have bid them too low, or he's trying to screw you. Any decent plow truck should get atleast $60hr and some up to $130hr(around here). just my $ :cool: .02

9. progmc

progmc Member

Well I will be using my 1989 chevy 3/4 ton with 8 foot snoway plow. Yes I do have insurance it is a million dollar coverage. Is that a enough coverage?

10. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

It all goes back to what do you need to make per hour.

Many posts have been written on this subject. Some base it on pure objective accting, analyzing profit after all expenses are accted for. While others base it on supply / demand, area pricing avgs. etc. If you do a search on price, or similar you'll have more info than you can probably digest but well worth the time to read.

I can't tell you what's enough, and the type that you need for gas stations. I know that some guys are Bonded in order to do those hazardous jobs and be covered. Ask your Insur. agent. They'll tell you if they are worth what you pay them. Good luck

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  11. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I would say that is a way low. I don't know if the prices can be that different between the two states. Here in Jersey, a gast station is atleast $100 so if he is your buddy or something like it, you should get $50 for each.

12. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

You give your buddy half the pay just for hooking you up with a job?? I can see maybe the first time but, after that, it's all mine..

I say one hundred bucks minimum.. An hour on a gas station is a LOT of time.. I agree, you'll get considerably faster after the first couple of plows but, there's also the traffic issue..

13. progmc

progmc Member

Well I guess I was figureing that it would take a hour if it was full of cars. Im thinking that if its empty in the early morning that it would take around 20-30 mins. each. But like I said before if it snows all day that it will be a ongoing thing all day so there will be traffic.

14. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Before you even start negotiating price I would ask your employer/contractor/whatever to sign an insurance waiver that holds you harmless for slip & falls and the like. Basically, the only thing you would be responsible for would be damage caused directly from your truck and/or plow and only while you were on site. If he signs this, then I MIGHT think about doing the gas stations.

You are saying the gas station/s will take 20-30 minutes each and they are three miles apart. Therefore, worst case scenario is 60 minutes. I might disagree but I don't know enough about it (obviously). So 60/hr isn't all that bad, although I believe you should be at least 80/hr since you have an 8' plow. Of course, I'm assuming you are getting paid per push.

The problem I would have is the downtime. Let's say you are getting slammed with a storm that is providing you with 1" per hour and 8" is expected. So you go out at 2pm and start the first station. By 3pm your done with the second. Now, you need to find something to do between 3-4pm since you need to push every two inches. Then, you work from 6-7pm and again from 8-9pm. So you only get three hours of pay over a 7 hour timeframe. See what I'm getting at? Not sure if I'm being clear or not. sorry if I'm not.

I would look to see if you could work for someone so many hours straight, rather than in hour increments were your truck is taking a beating by driving back and forth and not earning you a penny. Just my 3 cents into the pot.

15. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I pay my subs $50.00 an hour to the truck. $20.00 an hour for the driver and $30.00 an hour wear, tear and insurance.

16. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

hello i think i would take the job, i have done casey's a time or too and charged them $25 and it takes 'bout 25-35min and i figure i can't drink $25 worth of beer in 25min so i am doing O.K. and really it depends on how busy you are and if you like plowing or not, myself' i enjoy it, you ought to check out my wal-mart thread

THANKS WAL-MART

17. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

progmc
    i would pass on the job...it sounds as if your "friend" is going to make a few bucks on your sweat. Remember friends are friends..but buisness is buisness...My friends wouldnt charge me and i wouldnt charge my friends..If my friend got me an account its worth a few beers or dinner at best..and they wouldnt even expect that..i used to do Mobil "on the run" they were decent size..they took about 40 min...The biggest p/i/a/ is people pull right in behind you while your plowing ..once i reversed into a toyota tacoma that "didnt realize i was plowing the lot"..cost me $600 ...they only look what pump is open and then they gun it to it..anyway i got about 150-225 per push..i dont know if that helps you at all but good luck...
    JM