1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub Rates in NE Indiana???

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Binder Buff, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Binder Buff

Binder Buff Junior Member
    from Indiana

Hey Guys...

What are some going rates for Sub Contractors in NE Indiana:

running a Straight Blade (7'6")?

Trying to get a feel for the market.

Thanks

2. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I get $65 an hour as a sub.
    but I have heard other guys getting $55 to $65.
    That is Indianapolis and north of Indy.
    In the past If I sub out on my own contract I pay $55 to $60.
    Obviously the better money is your own contracts but your liability and hassle factor goes up.

3. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

I typically see 60-65 depending on equipment in the Indy area also

4. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

well don't go work for that a**hole sno pro's they will offer you 50 an hour... now thats a joke....

5. cvwhr

cvwhr Member

We get 65 on 2 sites and 70 on larger one plus 20 a drive min. 50 drivespayup

6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

If your in a Snow belt (far north) good luck getting $65 per hour. LaPorte got more snow in 4 days then Indy gets all year. the pay rates reflect that. Just like in NJ they brag how they get $125 an hour as a sub, they also get 20" a year if there lucky. The more snow you get the lower the sub rates. Erie guys get $25-35 How about that :nod:

7. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

It would take an idiot to work for $25-35 an hour.......and that's a fact ;)

8. Reliable Snow and Ice

yeah and the companies that do only pay 25 to 35 an hour are scamming u left and right

9. Gettindirty

Gettindirty Member

Hey I guess I'm an idiot. I would plow for $25 - $30 per hour. Your truck, fuel, equipment etc. + minimum 8 hrs. Time and a half after 8. Double time for Holidays and Sunday. Oh and I need Medical, Dental, Holidays and vacation time too. Yep I'd work for that.

10. Reliable Snow and Ice

wait a min who said all that was on the table???? for all that I'll plow in a tutu but i'm not using my truck and if so then i want a company fuel card.....:D

11. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

huh............maybe i'll stay out of this one, but maybe i'll agree. might add the other half to that list too.....that is unless you like to work for free:laughing:

12. Reliable Snow and Ice

no come on throw it out there:sleeping:

13. dbcustoms

dbcustoms Senior Member

im in northwest ohio and i get $50 an hour, it just depends though ive heard that some people around here pay up to $60 but some are a lil under $50 so it just depends who you work for, just make sure you work for someone that is gonna take care of you, it dont matter if they pay you $65 an hour but hardly ever call you, id rather work for someone that pays me $50 but they call me out everytime or guarantee me work.

i also run a 7'6" straight blade but i have pro wings, so it gets me out to 9'6" with them on

14. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

thats fine to have wings, but most subs pay straight blade pay, v-plow pay, and operator pay.

most will do their own salting too. quality control reasons and liability.

niko3772, well i'm not going to blast somone on a public level, but pm me if you really need to know

15. dbcustoms

dbcustoms Senior Member

i know the guy i sub for is always willing to pay better for a wider straight blade since he does all commercial so he figures if you can push more snow per pass then you are worth more to him.

16. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We get the same rate whether you have a 6ft straight or a 8ft V Blade.
    Or your running a Bobcat.

Prices only go up if you are using a pusher box or a 10ft blade or bigger.

17. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

That doesn't make any sense. Why pay for more expensive equipment if I can show up with a Jeep and Western Suburbanite and get paid the same??? Someone is scamming you or at least not treating you right....

18. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

They have always paid like that for smaller equipement.
    They are one of the biggest companies around here doing snow.

The plus side is they pay within 7 days of plowing. They are very reputable.
    I have had the same hospital account for 5years. Medical accounts are gravy work.
    2 inches and they want you out there till it's all done.
    So I don't worry about getting the same rate as a guy that shows up with a smaller blade.
    It eventually comes out in the wash. If I have better equipement, I have a better chance
    of getting called to the next job because I am reliable and can move more snow.