1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub Rates In Mn???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by millsaps118, Oct 20, 2007.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Just wondering what some of you guys are getting for subbing your truck out, or what some of you are paying your subs to run their own truck and plow? Do you get/pay travel time and actual plow time or does the clock start from when you leave till when you get done?

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Last year I paid $50.00 per hour for a sub with a F-250 and 8'6" V plow. He was paid from start on the first job to finish on the last, I paid him for travel between jobs but not to the first one or home from the final one. He paid all of him own fuel, insurance, & repairs etc...

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Looking for any subs this year? I am close to the cities and like what you offered they guy last year. Would be very interested.

4. tstroman

tstroman Junior Member

hey guys if you are looking for around twin cities we can help you out send me a email with your number and what kind of equipment you have. tstroman@reliablesnow.com

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Reliable are decent guys to work for.

Also, if you're around Woodbury, Horticultural Services are looking for subs.

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Hey if any of you guys down in the Twin Cities need a hand I'll gladly come down there as long as the storm misses Brainerd.

I can bring 2 trucks with Vs, a skid steer w/ plow, two blowers and a V box spreader...and if I have some notice I can have a 3rd truck there as well.

Just send me a PM and I'll give you my contact info.

7. LwnmwrMan22

Personally, I try to run $100-125 / hour for my own trucks here, paying drivers $20-30 / hour. I'm near Forest Lake.

I've tried to get guys to sub for $70 / hour, but no takers, so I keep adding trucks.

I was talking to 3 different other outfits today. They're getting $60 / hour for a skid steer, $70 / hour for tractor with 8' blade, $90 (if VERY lucky for a pickup. Sub rates are anywhere from 50-80% of those prices.

8. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Seens like sub rates are all over the board. I talked to 3 guys this past week who sub for different contractors and the prices they were getting ranged from 45/hr-60/hr-75/hr. All 3 had similar set up's, 3/4-1 ton pick ups with 8.5 Vee/straight blades.

LawnmwrMan22--I can't believe no one wanted to run their truck for $70/hr! Thats good $$$$ for subbing around here. Almost makes me wonder...if guys were turning you down @ 70/hr they must have been making 80+/hr.

9. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I'd work for 70/hr, at least until I got enough jobs on my own. Those guys must be making more than that somewhere else.

10. LwnmwrMan22

The attittude I got was that no one believed that I would actually pay that, a "too good to be true" type response.

I was thinking that I must not be charging enough, and that they didn't want to do it for that reason.

11. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Exmark --- send me an email if your looking for a sub for this season. I am in Fergus Falls and dont mind the commute to Alexandria. I use nice quality equipment.

Steve - steven.koep@us.army.mil

LwnMwrMan- Where are you located?

12. LwnmwrMan22

Forest Lake... probably don't want to make that commute... :D

13. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Guarantee me 30 hours a week >>> with the thought that 50+ will happen during large storms and I will find a place to stay in the area for the winter. I have numerous friends that will rent me a room anywhere from Cloud to Rochester. I would be available 24/7. I am lucky enough to be at a point in my life where work(and learning by working/observing) comes first, with the plan that it is to set up a time later in life where family does. So at this time I have no commitments and would be willing to travel a ways to make some $ and gain some experience into different approaches to business.

Honesty and Safety come first for me. I am a veteran and a member of the National Guard. If you have heard of the army values, I can tell you that I live by them. Because of the NG there are only 2 days a month I can't push up snow; the other 29 days are dedicated to the job. All I ask for is hours and business management insite.

Send me an email to steven.koep@us.army.mil and we can talk about it more. :waving:

-Steve

14. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

It has been a very tough year for contractors in MPLS and SP. I have more guys calling me than ever before. I have two subs for every spot. We have a good reputation and do good work. Most of our guys bring more equipment back the next year. It all depends what you need. I have a guy that is a jerk who I needed in the past so I paid 70. This year he want 75 and I said 50. Happy to be done with him. I do not think prices are as all over the board in this market as you think. Many plow guys lie.

15. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

I always got paid between 50 and 65 per hour with a 1 ton and a 8ft straight blade.