1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub Percentage?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by MajorDave, Oct 30, 2015.

1. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

I always see "What would you bid for this?" threads, and I am sure it is here somewhere, but a search gave me a million things so...

Thinking of this backwards:

If you have a contract already and want to sub it out, does anyone use any type of simple percentage? Say, for example, you want 20, 25, or 30% of whatever you were awarded to sub it (they provide equipment and salt). Wondering if there is a generally fair % out there?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

On regular job

T&M jobs are 10 and 10 (21%) mark up.

Sub contractors are 30% min on bid.

On snow, I would think 30% is a fair number. I know some companies try for 100%

3. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

So simple example...my contract is for $1000...I sub it out for $700 End of story. (They pay for all costs - meaning salt).

4. Turbs3000

Turbs3000 Junior Member
    from Midwest

That would be great assuming they agree. for what it's worth that's a 43% mark up.

We aim for 15-25% but then again we sub hundreds of sites.

Things to remember is to have them cover you as additionally insured, you will still be involved should their be a lawsuit, and what's your management time worth as many subs require some hand holding and you checking sites.

5. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

On the bright side, they don't know your mark up.

6. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

7. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Ha - ya - just mentioned that above...I guess I want to try to be fair with everyone using a number that is the same so my "story" is always straight and true.

8. vince43m

vince43m Junior Member

300 is 43% of 700

9. Turbs3000

Turbs3000 Junior Member
    from Midwest

Markup is 700 * 1.43 (43%) = 1000
    Margin is (1000-700) ÷ 1000 = 30%

10. 1olddogtwo

Care to explain?

11. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

OK - so you proved my point. I am creating a margin --- a 30% margin. (in this example). Remember, my example is that I already have a contract and was wondering what percentage "margin," as you put it, may be an industry standard. You say 15-25%.

As Olddog asked - explain how you come to this percentage with the over 200 properties you have...I am genuinely interested.

12. Turbs3000

Turbs3000 Junior Member
    from Midwest

I was only differentiating the 2 because both mark up and margin were mentioned previously and since they obviously vary greatly (percentage wise) I just meant to keep it all on the same terms/page.

I cannot speak to industry standard or anyone's numbers, only what works for our company. That margin allows us to cover, insurance, billing, collecting, supervision, the 4 million odd requests that come in from customers, and make a little at the bottom line.

Also, I didn't intend for the # of properties to sound obstinate or snobby in anyway if it was perceived that way, only that numbers feather themselves out over the masses vs 1 or 2 sites.

13. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

None taken, well maybe a bit, but nice you explained--- but yes, you can get your throat sliced here pretty quickly! haha

14. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

So it sounds like a generic number would be about 25% so far...

15. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Id say our margins fall in the 15 to 25%

But it also depends in the type of account, how much it gross' for us in a season, how far away it is ect. It costs us more to supervise/babysit a property 40min from our shop vs. one right next door.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  16. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

We have 3 subs that supply plowing and sidewalk clearing and salting (our product) of walks. We pay them 70% of what we charge the customer. We salt the lots ourselves but we charge a separate price for that service, so it is easy to break it apart.

One of our subs used to plow with one of our trucks. Paid him hourly. He bought his own truck that was very similar to what he was using with us, things changed rather quickly. I would say that his route gets done 2.5 - 3 hours quicker (7 hour with our truck average) the jobs look better also. I told him I would charge back for anything he missed or was sub standard.

Short story long - If I paid him hourly (like I did to dozens of subs over the years) the job would still take 7 hours. He has learned to be efficient and think more like an owner.

17. 1olddogtwo

That 15-25, is that net or gross?

18. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

We take it off the contact price so gross. After looking at some numbers, were pretty close to 25% across the board.

19. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Sub pay rate

We pay our subs 75% of the plow cost. We supply them with our material and we get all the ice melter billed.