1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sub pay

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRSlawn, Oct 28, 2004.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

How much do you guys pay your subs i went to meet a guy yesterday and he said he starts his guys off at 40.00 per hour I have a 2004 f350 with 8.5 western 1995 Chevy 2500 with meyers plow and a four wheeler that her can use at additional cost. On call 24-7 Trucks dispatched and plow repair kits to handel repair on the job.

Thanks please help,

Jeff Smith
    JRS Lawn & Landscape
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I pay my guys $60.00/hour. If they show up every night at the end of the year I give them a 10.00/hour bonus.
  3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

This will all depend on area (in the country or Canada) and skill/equipment used.

I've seen $60-$80 here in my area.
  4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

subs pay ??

50 buck minimum thats cheap if they have a nice rig an have experience 75 .!!
  5. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

so how much should I ask for I was thinking
    60.00 for the 350
    55.00 for the 2500
    45.00 for the sub
    and how much should I ask for the fourwheeler per hour?
  6. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

$45 an hour on top of the truck rental? or does the sub come with a truck?
  7. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

the sub is one of my buddies who I am trying to get some plow work the 45.00 Includes the truck I was thing more like 50-55.
  8. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

This year I am plowing for another guy plus doing a few I still have. He's paying me $80.00 an hour for myself +truck.
  9. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

i got offered 50 should i take it or look around more i have a 92 half ton chevy with a 7.5 foot hen.
  10. bobshm

bobshm Junior Member

Although one contractor was advertising $60, the going rate here is $35-$40. Young guys and moonlighters snap it up, but it sure sounds silly cheap to me, especially with the price of fuel and labor.
  11. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I had a guy the other day trying to tell me he wanted me to plow for him @ 25 an hour with my truck and ins. For 25 an hour I wouldnt climb in his truck.SHHESH.....Rob
  12. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I pay my subs between $50-70 per hour depending on truck & blade size and experience. Must have their own insurance and they buy their own fuel. I pick up the dinner bill when we all get together for a feed stop.
  13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Akron Area

I have found around the Akron OH Area that the range in sub pay is
    $35 --> $45 and hour for a full size 7.5 blade truck. They pay less for a small truck and more for a one ton dump, more for wings on the plow. Skid steers are a hot item too. There are just so many people with plows around. It is hard to find places that pay more and have lots of work. Just pull out the yellow pages and call snow removal places, there must be 30 in there.
    They will take your name and number and might get back to you.
  14. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Around here sub pay can range anywhere from $25.00-$75.00 per hour. Bobcats and loaders run about $150.00-$175.00 per hour. payup
  15. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

is that after the storm for bobcat operators? Like could you plow through the storm, sleep for a few hours then do the bobcat/cleanup work?
  16. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I'm a little confused...

Shouldn't you rather look at your business' expenses, incomes, etc. and decide what you can pay someone off of that? How do you just pay someone "what the market will bare."? If the 'market' says 70 bucks and you pay that knowing you can't afford it, how does that work out? I'm just confused as to why the questions are asked, sorry.
  17. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

If you can't afford say $70-80/hr for subs, then you SEVERELY under bid. The shopping center/strip mall where I work my Supermarket job has about 5 trucks, 1 Skid steer out on a given storm. They start at 1" and are there for hours and hours. @ $80/hr X 5 = $400 and the Skid is working the same @ say $150/hr
    That means he's paying out $550/hr for 6-8 hours sometimes. Not to mention salt and hand shoveling/calcium on the walks/steps. I'd estimate he'd be dropping close to $1K on salt alone.

We're talking big bucks here, and the contract holder is DEFINATELY making the bucks payup and he's not usually at this particular job.

So, if he can put that many pieces of equipment in action for this job, you know he's not concerned about if he can afford the $80/hr for his subs. And you know he's profiting at LEAST $200+/hr after all is said and done.
  18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

TLS how big is this plaza? Is there a price for the year or per snowfall? I am just curious.
  19. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

With the loaders, it's usually after the storm.
  20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

How big? Hmmm.

2 Big Supermarkets
    1 Sears Hardware
    1 35K/sqft Clothing store
    1 McD's
    1 Wendy's
    1 Blockbuster
    2 Pizza joints
    2 chineese food
    2 cleaners
    3 banks
    And about 20 or so other stores/shops in the strip mall area.

I have no idea what this guys gets for plowing it. But he's been doing it for close to 10 years I bet. Before that it was a new guy each season, and they each did a crappy job.

If it was JUST my Supermarket lot, I'd really consider doing it. It's just a real congested center.