1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub-pay, What's fair?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Sawboy, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Hey everyone. I have been out of the biz for about 6 years now and looking to get back in. Only this time as a sub. I'm tired of dealing with low-ballers and all the other nonsense I went thru as an owner. Just wanna drive and collect. Which leads to my question.

What is a "fair" amount for me to get paid as a sub? I was small time when I ran my own show and never needed to sub anything so I have no clue. I have an oppurtunity to work with a guy who is extremely reliable pay wise, and has plenty of 1" business Obviously, these mean more than a guy who offers big $ but come pay time ya gotta chase etc.

I will be running a 2007 F350 Dually. Haven't decided on a blade yet, but will be either an 8.5 straight or a V. Either way, this thing can push mass amounts of snow in a small amount of time. I have 7 years experience in the biz as well.

This is for the Chicagoland area. I have an idea in my mind of what's fair, but wanted to ask you guys, since you are in the biz, and I ain't......yet.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

$65...........................

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I think you should get like a 9'2 v made by boss. Or if you get the 8'2 put wings on it. And smae with the 8'6. Make sure your contractor gives you all commercial because resis with a dualy is a PITA x100
    I'd say 60-85

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

and then 45 for salting

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

$60 minimum, guys with expanding plows/wings are pulling $75 minimum. $60/hr is about what it costs to put an employee in a plow truck, so don't take anything less than that.

6. Sawboy

Thanks for the help guys. I was off base (high). He's right in line with $70 or $75/hr. I forget. And like I said, extremely reliable payer with good contracts. Oh and yes, he is well aware the my truck needs 17 football fields to make a u-turn! Crew cab, 8' bed. Looooooooong

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

You guys need to remember it goes by region. I fought off guys bidding Menards last year for $45. Like it would even be possible to find a reliable sub to plow for $30-35. There's guys that claim $100-120 an hour, but I have yet to see it proved, let alone the places with higher pay rates typically aren't on the clock start to stop.

I had a guy (my bro in law) used to always brag to me that he made $10 more than I did. I'd be on an 8hr route or so and he'd be running all over God's country for this guy.....................getting paid 15 mins here, 20 mins there, maybe an hour at another place, and so on. Literally half of his night was drive time, not getting paid. I'd make nearly double what he did...........but he made the big bucks.

I think if its solid work and he's paying you $70-75 you're doing pretty well. Year before last was the last year I subbed and was at $70 for MVP's. Around here its tough to get accounts to pay that, let alone down the line.............................

8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

It will vary by regions...... I pay my subs $50 per hour.. they all have straight blades AND sanders... I pay them for travel time in between jobs. They have their own insurances. I 1099 them. I have many others that are lined up to sub if my usuals don't.....I pay them on time and go figure, I don't have any problems with them... maybe I should start my own management co?....LOL

9. Aimfor1337

Aimfor1337 Junior Member

That would be Ideal... I have been wondering about subbing too. Know a few companies that will need a guy this upcoming season. I also agree that 70-80 (some cases, 90) is fair for larger lots, especially if you have your own salter/sander.

Just curious, How many sites does a usual sub hit on a daily basis? 3-6?

10. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Depends on how big they are! Depends on how much work and subs the contractor has. 80-90 would never fly in my area either. Top I would ever pay a sub would be 75 if their really good! Average range is 55-65 here.

11. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

In cleveland, oh i have seen it go for as low as 35/hr and up to 60. Its more of who you know and how reliable and experienced you are. One company thats big in our area starts off new guys at 40 and some change, while others advertise starting pay 45.

12. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

$65.00-$75.00 per hour in our area.

13. matter

matter Junior Member

i sub out multiple trucks to different companies, and i'm seeing 70-80/hr in 4 yrs plowing as a sub, 70 has been the lowest i've incountered

14. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

P.S. I would so a 9.5 V for that dually, you wont regret it and should get top dollar

15. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with pushin 2 please.

16. Sawboy

Holy old thread resurrection Batman!

17. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

$55.00/hour.

18. 01PStroke

01PStroke Senior Member

As long as we dug this up.... I've seen anywhere from $10 - $80 /hr around here.

I literally choked when the guy told me he was out, in a truck, for $10/hr. Granted it wasn't his personal truck (not a sub) but man that seemed low.

All depends on the truck and drivers experience!

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Chgo is 55 to 90. Most are 60/65.

20. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I ask for $85 and will not do it for anything less than $75 and that is from my door back to my door. I have 25 plus years plowing and all my own equipment. I have to turn down jobs, only so many hours in the day.