1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub pay rate?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by secret_weapon, Sep 17, 2009.

1. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I have the opertunity to take on a few more conctracts, but I will need to hire a sub. Can someone give me some insight on what would be a fair payrate?
    Area is Beachwood OH

I was thinking of offering $45-50/hr. Just plowing.

One friend is looking for work with 7 yrs. exp.

Thanks!

2. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Around the midwest subs are getting anywhere from $65-$85 an hour.

3. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

My area is $70 - $85/hour

4. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

No experience = 45-55
    Some experience = 55-65
    Good experience = 65-150

5. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I get $70.00 and hour. Clock starts when I arrive at their shop until I return to their shop.

6. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

If your plow is not on the ground you are still getting $70.00 an Hr?

7. secret_weapon

Thanks guys, I think I'll offer $55 ish and see what he says, I dont want to pay too much and not make payup

8. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

A meager estimation of operating costs for a subcontractor with is own truck , plow, insurance, etc is around $30-35 an hour out of pocket. That should help you figure out what's "fair" to your sub. 55's a good place to start i guess. you could have him work HIS numbers and give you a number.

9. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

Yep, $70.00 an hour from the time i check in until we finish and check back in before going home.

10. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Dang I would be having guys taking the longe way back to the shop. I pay my subs from the time they sign in at the job site.

11. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

I also pay from the time they show at shop until the time they leave the shop I feel it makes them want to get out of bed at 2 am when i call plus I am charging for that time so why not

I am paying my subs with their tucks $115.00 and guys driving my trucks up to $75 but a new guy in one of my trucks will get $50

12. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

WOW just shows how life is diff in other states or even towns. At $115.00hr for subs ill send you 8 trucks with drivers that have plowed for the past 5 years for me. Heck I have plowed for 17 years and I would come up for that kinda money. Im not knocking you at all just not use to seeing them #'s

13. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

Don't tease I might take you up on it if we keep growing

I got 107 pieces rolling as of now and still have few more good size jobs asking for our services all over DC MD VA

14. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil Member

a company in twinsburg pays subs 68 an hour!

15. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I'm in too at those rates!

16. secret_weapon

I wanted to get an idea of where to start so to speak.
    He might say "Well, I've been plowing for 7 yrs. I'm really good and want $85/hr"

Because friends never take advantage of friends:dizzy:

17. secret_weapon

I just got back from visiting my brother and his family in Burtonsville, Maryland. After driving through some of those streets where there are townhomes and condos, $115 ain't enough!!

18. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Dang. Sometimes I hate my area. Only for a few jobs though.

19. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

EXACTLY plus we have more attorneys then cars in this area if you get my drift but most guys in the area are paying 80-90

20. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Your paying guys how much to run your trucks? :eek::dizzy: Your joking right?:jester: