1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub or Bid???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jimmy Blizzard, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Jimmy Blizzard

Jimmy Blizzard Junior Member

Yes i'm new and yes i have read all the beginner forums, picking up pieces as i go.
    I'm at the point of deciding whether to sub myself out at an hourly rate (based on the info i've read looks like about $65/hour (comments please).
    I'm very nervous with no experience painting myself into a corner bidding on large contracts. I have a handle on hourly rate, $85/hour, but i'm getting stuck on sanding/salting (seems 20lbs/1000sqft is norm.....x 3 for a profitable rate).
    problem is i have no back up or heavy equipment for huge dumpings!
    Appreciate any info or advice or experience from those in my situation last year and how it panned out!

new silverado 5.3lt
    blizzard 7.6 swing wing
    snow ex salt/sand tailgate spreader
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Start small and grow

Get some
    Get smaller contracts untill you learn:rolleyes:
    I cant hepl you with that:confused:
    Find some one to team up with for backing each other up :)
    get contracts that dont require heavy Equipment :rolleyes:(smaller lots)

3. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

What, have a game plan before I jump in to the snake pit? I don't need no stinking plan.

I think I'm just gonna start saving my anwsers and then I just have to cut and paste instead of retyping.

Here I will give you the anwser you are looking for, said in my best Yoda voice "Subbing for start leads thee to powers of running a profitable business in the future" :jester:
  4. Jimmy Blizzard

Jimmy Blizzard Junior Member

i agree with you all, stressed out with $10 000 in equipment purchases and need to recoup some cost this year. hate to wait for residential opportunities or somebody else to get too busy and sub me out.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Like has been said....Start small and grow. Sub yourself and also try to pick up a few drives on your own.