1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub Insurance/CVOR Question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lucfw, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

So, in ontario if the truck is over 9000lbs rgw you got to have a yellow sticker and CVOR. SO my questions are if I am using my personal truck (under 9000lbs rgw) with the personal use sticker on your front plate (and personal insurance) can you sub for a company? and would you be under there insurance? Or do subs need commerical insurance and the yellow sticker as well as there own CVOR(if they are over the grw)? (because they are making money with the truck and the truck looks commercial).

I read over the MTO website trying to find my answers to that but i could not find it.

Also if i have a yellow sticker on my truck the trailers i tow must have the sticker to. I looked at the exemptions and did not see a boat/trailer. So the trailer for the boat must also have a yellow sticker or did i miss it? just have not seen any commerical boats like fishing boats around here. lol

Sorry for the long post and i know its not that clear. sorry about that.
    THanks for your time.

2. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Not sure what the legal situation is but if you would sub for me I want you to have insurance on the truck as well as a general liability insurance. If the trailer is yellow sticker the towing truck has to be as well. No sticker on the trailer doesn't require the truck to have one either.

I don't think you get a straight answer here. It is just all over what MTO or OPP has to say when they stop you.

Having the truck in your personal name might not require a CVOR, at least what a buddy got told.

Try to post in the Canadian weather thread since this is specific to Canada...

3. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Ok, i understand now about the yellow stickers and trailers. I thought that they both have to have a sticker or neither because of one company i worked for told me that but i thought that was kind of stupid. I thought the insurance would very company to company. But i think it is a good idea to have GL to like you said.
    Thanks

4. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

truck and trailer combined over 4600 Kg requires yellow stickers on both if you have a CVOR.
    Same applies if truck is over 4600 Kg, if you have a yellow sticker and a CVOR you also need to have company name or CVOR # on the truck and fill a trip inspection every time truck is used. No matter if business or personal use as well as having a schedule 1 with you which outlines the daily inspection requirements.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Subbing for another company disqualifies you for the personal use designation and might exempt your insurance from covering a claim if something happens while working for them.

6. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Ok i think i am starting to get it.lol
    So if the truck is under the 4600 kg and does not have a CVOR but it has a yellow sticker you can tow a trailer that is under 4600 kg and does not have a yellow sticker?

Also does every truck have to a the CVOR number on them, like on the outside? i have only seen that on 18 wheelers. Or like the company i worked for had a number in marker on the dashboard. or does it have to be on the outside WITH the company name?

Thanks so much!:drinkup:

7. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Ok so to sub you have to have commercial insurance to cover your own truck/equipment incase somthing happens. makes sense now. Thanks

8. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

The combined weight of truck and trailer including all equipment and people in it has to be under 4600 KG!!!!
    Company name or CVOR # is a requirement to be on the truck! Most don't know about it.

9. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Oh ok i see now. lol, it took me awhile but i think i got it now lol.

One last thing, correct me if i am wroung, if the trailers weight including trailer, and equipment is over 1000lbs you have to have your A liceance right?

Thanks again, you have really helped me out.
    Lucas.

10. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

No, if the trailer weight is over 4600 Kg you need an A licence.

11. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Sorry, is that the dry weight or with it loaded?

12. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

weight of the trailer touching the ground loaded or unloaded doesn't matter!!!!!!

13. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

ok i get it now lol
    Thank you so much, it has greatly helped me out:drinkup: