1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sub in need of help!! flat rate

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jnmaricic, Nov 29, 2009.

1. jnmaricic

jnmaricic Junior Member
    from 07065

hello

im a sub in need of help. i have a f250 with plow and salter with driver and i operate a a front end loader ( not mine ) at a big lot there are 3 major department stores. 5 acre lot my be 6. my guy wants me to do it for a flat rate of 8000. any thoughts?? thanks

2. Tiflawn

Tiflawn Member

Maybe just for the truck.

3. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

We would need some more info...

Salting included?
    How many storms per year in your area?
    Pain in the A$$ lot, or easy?
    Trigger?

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Better be happy you can get work.
    ALOT of guys are begging for more work.

But yes....more info is needed to answer your ?

5. jnmaricic

jnmaricic Junior Member
    from 07065

the only thing there is my truck and driver and me. everything else is being provided the guy who is subing me out. last year i made around the same amount on hourly. with myself operating the loader and my truck when needed.

big and open lot. the only thing is it is always busy.

located in new jersey

thanks guys

going to sit down with him tonight

6. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Okay…..

….assuming no salting.
    ….kind of a PITA.
    ….1" trigger
    ….# of snowplows last year was average for your area(based on 1" trigger)

Then $8000 is probably pretty good. If you had a below average winter last year, then you will make less $$$ this year if it is average or above.

Seeing as you are new to the site and you seem like you are only an hourly sub, you need to be aware of and get the questions I stated above answered before you start bidding your own jobs, or accepting flat rates on jobs. Good luck to ya.

7. jnmaricic

jnmaricic Junior Member
    from 07065

i will be doing the salting with my truck but with his salter and salt.

we average 43'' a year but are expected to get above average this year

1'' to 1.5'' trigger

8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Are you going to be plowing the whole lot by yourself? Or will you have help when you need it? Are you going to plow it each time you have 1"? Or will you let it accumulate? If you do get 43" of snow, how many hours do you figure you will be plowing for the season? I did a rough calculation and figured almost 200 hours for the season for plowing with your truck?

9. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

If Brant's lawn care is correct with the estimate of around 200 hours of plowing for the season on that site....

for 8k, your getting screwed. 8000 divided by 200 hours is :$40/hr....basically a contractors hand shoveling rate outhere.

16k sounds more like it.

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's what I was thinking somewhere in there. Maybe $13k would be ok too, but it really depends on what you need to make per hour.