1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sub getting paid

Discussion in 'Employment' started by dbcustoms, Jan 15, 2010.

1. dbcustoms

dbcustoms Senior Member

how do you guys that sub get paid? do they usually pay you at the end of the day or once a week or once a month? im just wondering if there is a rule of thumb or if its just whenever they feel like paying you.

when i get paid its after about 2 weeks of hounding him and either me or my friend hunting him down in a lot.
  2. vincent

vincent Senior Member

I sub for a plowsite member here. He always pays about 5-7 days after the job is done. I call him when I start the job and call him when I am done. Send invoice via email.

All is good, also I have another guy I do work for sometimes, he pays me when he gets paid.

If you have to hound a contractor to get paid, I would look for someone else to plow for, imo.
  3. Buck Bros.

Buck Bros. Member

One would set payment details before performing any service . No rules here .
  4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

do a search
  5. dbcustoms

dbcustoms Senior Member

well it was supposed to be a week after the work was done, but he just never answers his phone or avoid everyone, like he doesnt know why your trying to get a hold of him. but yeah getting a little annoyed that i have to go hunt him down to get my money when he knows he owes me and ive done the work that he asked, but next year i hope i wont be subbing for anyone i hope to have enough of my own accounts to keep me busy, and even at that i work a full time job that works with me when i plow so i just want some accounts that i know i can do all the time so i know ive got some money coming in each snow.
  6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

The one guy that i sub for pays me as soon as i am done or the next day depending on how the storm ends. the others i have to bill once a month like my regular accounts.
  7. htmsupply

htmsupply Junior Member

yea i'm in the same boat!! i was told 7 daysn before i started now its been 4 weeks. supposed to get paid by wednesday!! my truck won't go out again for this guy!!:gunsfiring:
  8. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I pay the guys whenever they want... Sometimes (but rarely) its right away usually its 3-4 times per season. Occasionally its once per season. However like I said it is whenever they want...... "can I stop by today and pick up a check?" my answer is "sure, what time."

I am sure that this is not the norm, but I have known most of these guys for 10-20 years and the plowing money is not their only source of income.
  9. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I get paid once every 30days
  10. ZachXSmith

ZachXSmith Senior Member

That would be awesome!
  11. dbcustoms

dbcustoms Senior Member

yeah i dont really care how often i would just like it to be on time, when he says 7 days it should be 7 days, not three weeks.
    i have another source of income so its not like im relying on it but its just nice to know that when i do the work i will be paid withtin the set time frame.
  12. hansons glc

hansons glc Member
    from mn

i sub and 30 days after event if you bill that day. but the frist out this year couldn't do the paperwork tell a week later, becuse the had no time sheet for me to fill out. so that make it 37 days out then they never got the email tell i asked 4 events later now its 43 days out. i think they only cut checks on friday and mail it to me so that might make it 46 days after the frist outing then the bank takes a few day before you can use the money. sorry to rant but right now i sit here looking out the window waiting for the mail man. i have most of the equipment fixed.(the stuff that doesn't take much money) i feel working man poor. soon i will be welfare rich then pay the tax man and i will be working man poor again. have a good day. i pay my workers right that day if i can i wish it all was that way i have to use a credit card to pay for my stuff later.

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

Your in northwest ohio but what town? And who you working for? dbcustoms i hope your not working for MJ's
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  14. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I think somewhere in the 14-30 day range is acceptable. You should never have to wait until your boss gets paid. I pay my guys every week no matter if i get paid or not. I have plenty of jobs that I have not been paid on and probably wont ever get my money, but my guys get paid ASAP. "Workers" make me money. The easiest way to keep them happy is pay them what you owe them as soon as possible.

If your having a problem getting paid then I would go work for someone else. Obviously your boss doesn't have any cash flow to run a proper business. It wmay catch up with him soon and you will be on the short end of that deal. Good luck
  15. dbcustoms

dbcustoms Senior Member

im over in archbold, oh

i think he pays after he gets paid and i think your right, he doesnt have the money to cash flow a business, and im afraid that if he doesnt get paid then like you said i will get the short end of the deal not him.

im definately looking for someone else to sub for or just getting my own accounts so i know i will have work when it snows instead of the uncertainty of hoping they need me.
  16. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I suggest you stop your hounding! If your a sub-contractor, the employer (contract holder) legally has 30 business days to pay you. :nod: The only people who get paid weekly or bi-weekly are his direct workers who are part of his company.

If you happen to get your own accounts next year, learn the system cause the last thing clients want are annoying weekly phone calls wondering if the money's sent out yet!?!

17. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

the guy i work for pays me the day after i work for him he is a good guy and wont screw anyone but its not the main source of income for eather of us.
  18. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Oh come on! If I am a sub, I could care less when the customer pays the contractor. The point of being a sub is that you can back yourself out of having to worry about collecting money. If I was going to sub and I had to wait until my contractor got paid from the customer, I would be pissed. No way is that right. I know some people do it because they agree to it, but fi they dont have that agreement, it shouldn't happen. Employees (sub contractors, ect) are any businesses most valuable asset. You can have all the machines and trucks in the world, but if no one responsible is there to operate them, your screwed. Sorry, just my .02
  19. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I think you need to be paid in the amount of time agreed on at the start of the season. The OP stated 1 week so 1 week it is.
  20. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

i agree, that 14-30 is acceptable. However, if a contractor is not getting paid from a customer that the sub-contractor did the plowing, it is 90% likely that it is the subs fault. I am all for "if you do the work, you get paid", but if you screw something up on a property or cause me problems on a property that could have been clearly avoided., you are "clearly" not getting paid for whatever you have cost me. If by any chance, the customer is at at fault, that is why the law allows them to place leins on the property as much as it allows the contractor. Our subs make 70-85% of what we bill our customers, so i feel this is clear and readily aware to our subs.