1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SUB Contractors?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Ole Tower, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

I read many Post on Sub Contractors--Signed Contracts ECT--I been Plowing for more yrs tham most of the Site members have Lived--Here Word of Mouth & a Hand Shake is the Contract Here! I know a lot of Plowers & NO One I know Of? has any Signed Contracts?--may Bee in the Big City? but Locally NOPE! none I know Off?--Here if You make a Deal--Word of Mouth & a Hand Shake & some One Else? Pulls In & starts Plowing--Here they Come OUt & Stop YOU--WHO? are YOU?--I*M SO & SO! & SUB Contracted to So & SO!--YOU will WAIT--as they Call the GUY they Did the Deal with! & SEE whats UP? & He better Vouch for YOU? Hes Broke down? Sick? & perhaps? they Can*t Reach So & SO?--So You Go Ahead & Plow Any Way! & when your DONE! Don*t Ask for any Money--as You won*t Get any! as They Will PAY the Man they made the Deal With!--& you can? collect from Him??--So 95% of the Post I read Here are just a lot of Words! as Most Don*t Apply? to what I consider the REAL WORLD!--Perhaps? in NJ Mass & NY signed Contracts are the In Thing? but Here in Central MAINE Word of Mouth is the Deal Here!--OH even HERE You Do get Stung every once in a While--as WE Do have our Share of "A" Holes but their Far & Few Between--so Bite the Bullet & Pass the Word around--that Usually Does the TRICK-- a Little HUMOR?--I like Most Plowers often DO Few? FREE BEEs!--for the ELDERLY & POOR! that I know! a few Don*t even have a Vehicle & depend on Freinds to Go Get Groceries & Go to Doctors Appointments-- So I Do them as I Pass By--& My Payment? is Usually A Wave from their Window! but to ME--I THANK GOD I*M in Good Health & able to Do IT! as Most are Yrs Younger than I AM but I Figure? My few minutes of Plowing May Save a LIFE? of a Freind that Down on ther LUCK & a Helping Hand never Hurt any One I know Of? --so If that makes ME? a LOW-BALLER? or an Un-Desirable? so be IT! --OleTower--

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

LOL - I never know what the hell you're saying but your posts always make me laugh.

God Bless ya Old Timer :waving:

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

In today's day and age, you are really taking a big risk. All you need is one guy to ruin this for everyone, but I hope things always work out for you, I just can't take that kind of risk.

Jon

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2007
  4. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

SUB Contractors??

--JON in Todays World where every One Suing every body--If? their WORDS NO Good?--forget the HANDSHAKE--& Don*t Work for Them Any WAY!--as 99% of those Writen & Signed Contracts are NOT Worth the Paper their Written ON! IF? there is a Problem?? as Some? Lawyer will send YOU those $150 Dollar Threatning Letters--as He Represents the some A Hole thats never Did any Thing in His LIFE Right! in the First Place--to ME Plowing INSURANCE is far too Expensive --$1200 to $1400 a Year & the Biggest Problem I SEE in Plowing--IS!! most Plowers HURRY to Much!--& thats When Bad things Happen!--I Do Have Insurance--but any Damage I take Care of Out of Pocket--as $1,000 Dollars covers a Lot--yrs AGO I had a Driver PUSH Snow Up against an Ole Porch--in very Bad Condtion--& in the Spring as the Snow Melted--the Customer Complained WE had Damaged His Porch?--I went & Look at IT!--It had Sagged Down--& pulled away from His House--a couple of Inches--I noticed the Nails Holding It to His House Were very RUSTY--& To ME?-It Had been that Way for some Time?--I Didn*t Argue!-I contacted a local Building Contractor & Had Him Re-Pair IT-- $350 Dollars--better than it ever Was!--I had My Customer sign a Paper Stating He was 100% statisfyed w/the Re-Pair--& Dropped HIM--just Like All the Insurance COS DO!--in All my Yrs of Plowing I have Never Had an Insurance Claim--I See a Lot of Plowers on HERE that Claim they have a Million Dollars of Insurance--to ME? IF??? they Need that Much Insurance?--they had Better Park their Truck & Stay HOME!! --Ole Tower--

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2007
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I know Jim/Ole Tower and live about ten miles from him. Yes, we still do a lot of business on a handshake. Actually, a handshake is being pretty formal. For instance, nine years ago I built a new house. The guy who did all the site work, dug the foundation, septic and garage and laid all the concrete made up a rough drawing of what he proposed on a small piece of graph paper and said he'd charge $15,000 total. I told him to do it whenever he was ready, but I'd like to be in the house before winter (this was June). Five months later, he was done, house was built and I'd moved in. I had written him a check for $15,000 and laid it on the kitchen island. One morning, I saw him working another place on my way to work so I stopped and told him to swing by and pick up his check. When I came home, the check was gone; so I figured he got it. Haven't heard any different, anyway.

I could go and on... But for the most part, that's how it's done around here.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

BUT - I still carry insurance for the stuff that SnoFarmer is talking about.

8. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Making a deal on a handshake isn't always a bad thing. But not having your butt covered is. These are two seperate issues.

9. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

I assume? some of YOU? Do have Million $ Insurance? just in Case? One gave the Problem of Hitting the ATM machine? or Hitting & crushing some Kid playing in the Snow while You Plowing?--Both of the Above are STUPID Happenings!--Be CAREFUL--& send any Kids playing in the Lot your Plowing Away--before YOU Do pLow! I*LL repeat--most Plowers HURRY to Much! & that when BAD Things Happen!--Plowing to ME Is just like any thing ELSE! DO a Good JOB--& above ALL--DON*T HURRY!--I hear where Plowers have Hit parked Cars--torn down Fences--Hit Steps Ect--& YES! I have INSURANCE--but--I*D rather PAY out of My Pocket for small Damages--& I have only had One Incident in many Yrs--the Ole Pourch that One of my Drivers many yrs Ago piled Snow Up to that Ole Pourch--I stopped by & looked it Over!--as the Pourch had been pulled away a couple of Inches--& in looking I Saw the Spikes were very RUSTY--& to ME? it had been that Way a long Time--I Didn*t Ague I had a local building contractor Fix It--& Paid out of my Pocket--but--I Did Drop that Customer!-- & to ME Insurance is More Important Today that yrs AGO w/ every One Suing every Body--I have many Yrs Plowing w/ Out any Damage--& personally I don*t seem? to have the many Problems Most plowers have? Complaining Customers?--or Not Enough?--I have ALL I can Handel--& DO a Good JOB--I had an Elderly Couple--a Free Be--Call Me yesterday--JIM YOU Gonna*PLow US OUT this Winter?--YEH! I*LL be there!--Thank YOU!--Click!!--Ole People WORRY I Guess?--NOPE! Plowing Snows NOT WORK? Plowing to ME is Still FUN--as when It dose turn to become WORK?--I*LL Park My Trucks! & become a Couch Potato --Ole JIM--

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

12. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Dam

It seems like its more difficult to type that way.

Forget capitals and punctuation for god sakes that would be easier.

Just keep your finger off the shift key.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It has something to do with the computer he is using. I don't think he goes to all that trouble. There was a post last year about it. We all seem to understand him. Keeps us on our toes.:dizzy:

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Not really he posted in another thread today that was just fine.

All the punctuation is him Not the web T.v.

I did a little research on web tv..

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Well I can't believe everything I read then. Thanks