1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub Contractor

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ItsSnowProblem, Oct 26, 2011.

1. ItsSnowProblem

ItsSnowProblem Junior Member

I got screwed out of a job after I spent $25,000 on equipment, so now what do I do? LOL Anyway, below is a copy of the contract another contractor wants me to sign if I go to work for him as a sub. Any thoughts? I think it's a joke. I deleted personal info.
    Thanks.

INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR AGREEMENT

This document outlines an agreement made on Wednesday, October 26, 2011, between ----------and Daniel ---------

Daniel -------- has been retained as an independent contractor for --- Services, for the work described below:

Snow Removal of the west parking lot at:
    The Compass Church
    1551 Hobson Road, Naperville, IL 60540

West entrance off of Hobson Road and along the entire west boundary of the parking lot. East to the retention area and entire area south of the walkway between the shed and the garden, and everything west of the large island west of the main entrance I will provide a map highlighting this area as well to eliminate any confusion.

The plowing must be completed by 1:00 PM on Saturdays and 5:00 AM on Sundays, and by 7:00 AM on other days. Fees paid will not exceed $275, which is a 5 hour minimum, paid on a rate of $55/hour.This fee is good for snowfalls up to 6 inches. For snowfalls 6-8 inches, an additional hour will be paid, and for snowfalls 8-10 inches, another additional hour will be paid. Snowfalls exceeding 10” will be figured under a special quote by -----Services. Snowfall will be based upon the weather report from www.accuweather.com. Payment will be made within 14 days of the invoice being submitted. Contractor shall send an invoice after each removal to: rnrservices411@gmail.com

-------- Services reserves the right to alter this schedule according to events taking place at the church in which case this will be communicated in advance of those events.

If for any reason contractor is unable to perform these services, RNR must be notified immediately by either method;
    Email:
    Phone:

Contractor is not responsible for finding a replacement, nor will any replacement be allowed to plow on the property. ---Services will handle the plowing if you are unable to plow for any reason.

Because this business relationship is that of independent contractor, there is no entitlement to benefits such as health insurance, life insurance, retirement, or unemployment insurance. Taxes, FICA, nor any other deductions will be made.

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

What part is the joke?

The lack of censorship is pretty funny.

Is your layout of 25g's related to this $275 push?

3. ItsSnowProblem

I guess I did leave some info. in, but being a smartass doesn't answer my question TCLA.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I would of just wrote up a page saying I pay you x per plow at this address. Done.

5. ItsSnowProblem

I agree. Seems like the whole thing is one sided in his favor. When we talked he said he'd pay my $55 and hour with a $275 minimum. This is the guy that screwed me out of plowing this church.

6. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

This is the guy that screwed you out? If he is playing dirty, throw him into the mud pit and go in after him. What is the average rate for you guys? $90hr? $75hr?

7. ItsSnowProblem

A guy on here told me that subs in our area make between $45-$65. I believe him since I've talked to a few other guys that were looking for subs. Unfortunately thy were too far away.

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

What's the question? I see it as "what should I do"

Then you talk about "another contractor"

The background info is spotty. I'll let you be, chief.

9. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Seems to me that you are holding most of the peanuts and he has the bag. Does he actually have the equipment to do the job on his own or are their others that he can sign? I would stall as long as possible and then counter offer him, especially "if he needs your nuts", if you will. Next season I would approach the contract again as I did not see any mention of the words non compete.

I just lost a condo complex this season based on price. Don't know who and don't know for how much but it was price based for sure. When I find out who it was, you bet your arse that every site that they service is going to get a unsolicited bid from me that most of them are going to jump at. It takes two to tango..... I might even just bid the places down to the point that I don't want them just to have the guy who does have them take the loss. I can play right stinking dirty if I have to.

10. ItsSnowProblem

Well, none of this matters anymore snce the church has decided to drop both of us and hire someone else. I think thats the best thing for the church. Lesson for the day: don't play games and try to scam others for profit.

11. grandview

Did you see that we had a whole thread on plowing churches?

12. ItsSnowProblem

No, but I'll look for it now. Thanks. I do not blame the church at all. They gave this guy a golden opportunity and he blew it because of his greed. By the way, he's an employee of the church. I never should have got involved.

13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

According to FindLotSize.com these are the measurements for just the main parking lot.

1551 Hobson Road, Naperville, IL 60540
    271808 feet² 30201 yards²
    6.240 acres

That is not including the parking and drive in front of and side of the church. Sounds like he wanted to play some sort of management game with his bid and they saw it as a joke.

Maybe the church looked at a serious bidder with real numbers and went with them instead.

Not sure $275 per push would even cover costs on a lot that size. :eek:

14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Here is the screen shot

Church.jpg

Church.jpg

15. ItsSnowProblem

Wow, thanks for this info. and the web site. These replies really mean alot to me. I have no idea how to bid on jobs, etc. and was counting on learning the business while plowing this lot, but thats not gonna happen now. Thank you to everyone for your input and advice, I feel more confident about going out and getting some jobs and paying for my equipment.

16. grandview

That's at least a 30k job for the season and no salt or sidewalks.

17. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

thats a $5k seasonal for truegreen!! thats what we are dealing with here in this town, they $$&#^# go in an low ball the crap out of stuff and then have the nerve to call you back and ask to do it for them because they own no F-in trucks. Why Oh why would you give this work to them when you know they have no management staff to over see or trucks to do the work!! Oh by the way you have to buy their ice melt and can only charge $5 on top of each bag!! Snow Magizine has the in 7 place at $14+ million for last years winter season. 75% of it's frigging ice melt sales it has nothing to do with plowing.

sorry about the rant!! but this crap is getting old fast. we bidded the crap out of stuff at a very affordable rate and got none of it besides hearing Oh we have heard you guys do exceptional work we are going to stay with this crap as$ low baller that does crappy work and at low ball prices!!! Quility Means nothing anymore

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  18. ItsSnowProblem

Well, I talked to a company about working for them as a sub. They called me today and gave me 3 places to check out, and call them back and let them know how long it would take me to plow. I have no idea, but I'm gonna take a shot and see if I'm even close. So, please take a look at the pic below and let me know how long you think it would take, or if anyone can give me some advice on how to estimate, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again for everyones help.

I'm not having any luck figuring out how to post a picture like the one by Reaper above, so below is the link.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  19. ItsSnowProblem

20. NickT

NickT Senior Member

If your subbing they should just pay you by the hour according to what size plow and truck you have. They should already know how long it will take