1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub-Contractor Rate for Salt Spreader??

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by adamgod60, Nov 22, 2009.

1. adamgod60

adamgod60 Junior Member

Hi, I first want to say that this is a great site and thank everyone in advance for helping answer any of my questions.

I live in Chicago and have been receiving an hourly rate of 80/hr my plowing services. I own a 7 1/2' Western Uni-Mount Plow w/ 4x4 Truck. I just added a Western 1000 Low Profile Salt Spreader and am not sure what to charge hourly as a subcontractor. Salt will be provided to me by contractor.

1. What would an average rate be for spreading services alone?

2. What would an average rate be for plowing and salting together?

I have search all forums and have not found an answer. Your help is greatly appreciated.

ADAM G

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

This will be very localized but in my area, my subs spread my product, and I pay them an extra $10 per hour if they have a 2 yd sander.... other areas will be different

3. Ice Control & Anti-skid

Don't forget to charge for Ice Control & Anti-skid. Most companies forget to charge for that. Its not just the labor. It is Labor + materials used. My mom had someone put some Ice control down she paid by check for the labor when job was completed. Then gotten a bill in the mail for the materials used.:confused: She was thinking she already paid for it all. This is before I got some spreaders.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Know your costs

Adam, first and most importantly calculate your costs per hour of operation for your truck, spreader and labor. If you need help with this, you can visit www.profitsareus.com and look at our snow & ice management bidding package. This will calculate all your costs per hour for all the services you offer.

If you have any questions, call me at 800-845-0499.

Thanks

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

The same rate.....I don't differentiate between the two.

The advantage with supplying the salter is the increased opportunity for you to keep it busy.

6. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

My Ice melt store jacked up the price from $7.50 for 50lb bag to $13.78 of Traction Traction Ice Melter. Also the rest of different kinds went up to about 50%. Some are: 50lbs Bag Road Runner Ice Melt , 50 lbs Pail Road Runner Ice Melt , 50 lbs Bag Excel Calcium Chloride Pellets & also said they had a new kind. http://www.scotwoodindustries.com
    The new kind is GREEN SCAPES
    The Natural Choice for Ice Melt. ADVANTAGES

• Each granule encapsulated with an organic based alternative de-icer.

• Safer for sidewalks and vegetation than rock salt.

• Enhanced with a COLOR indicator.

• Melts effectively to -10 degrees Farhenheit.

• Composed of natural ingredients.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Outhere Salt Trucks run at around the same price as a Plow truck per-hour...plus material.

8. the eggman

the eggman Member
    from ohio

same pay rate but more hrs playing with the salt

9. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I get $115 per hour, salting or plowing, salt is provided

10. adamgod60

adamgod60 Junior Member

Is the $115/hr rate a subcontractor rate? Is that company located in Chicago?

11. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

nope.......prices are gonna be different by region