1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sub contractor plowing ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vmj, Sep 22, 2013.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

i have a sub that's been doing a lot for $150 now the place has new owners and wants insurance. (which he should of had!!!) Now im taking it and its worth 250 or more for 1-6 Wondering how to pay out for him... Not going to pay him 150 every time he plows it during a storm to keep it open... he wont do by the hour, and I don't want to because he'll make up hours... He does one other lot for me. Thanks

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

You might have to plow it yourself, can you do it & get him on another lot? that way he still has the work & you still got some profit.

3. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

If your the boss, simply tell him he's not needed for that lot.
    Your other problem is if he doesn't have insurance and he's plowing for you then you are opening yourself up if something happens.
    Your going to take the hit, something to think about with the other lot.
    $800 dollars for a million dollar policy by yourself or see how much to add him to yours and charge him the cost.
    If you go that route bump up the policy to a 2 or 3 million one.

4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, forgot to touch on the insurance thing, make sure he is covered, whether it's by you or his own!! I agree, 1 mil policy aint very good nowadays, court fees & lawyers can eat up close to 1 mil now a days. I think for most of us 2 mil should be minimum.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe I'm reading it wrong. you paid 150 to plow it with the old owner you should of had insurance anyway.New owner wants insurance ,which you should have. The guy plowing wants more? Why the 250 now?

6. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

he was plowing it for 150 the last couple of years for that.. new property owner wants a co with insurance. (which I have) he still wants to plow it and get the 150 he was getting. I think I can get 280 for 1-3 and up.. my concern is if he plows it twice for a 1-3 storm he wants to be payed the 150 for each plow.. if he does plow it twice for 1-3 he's really opening it up the first plow... just wondering how to go about this.? thanks

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If your subbing it out and he plows twice you pay twice and bill the owners twice.

8. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

if the contract is 280 for 1-3 and it anly snows 3" then I can only bill out the 280... I think I have to add in a sep price for keeping dive entrances open as a pass through and give him half of that not $150 each time..

9. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

thinking about plowing it my self....

10. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

How about 50 for opening it up, and 125 for full lot plow? Or open it up yourself and leave him on the full plows.

11. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

mmm that's an idea thanks

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Hold on here, let's see if im understanding this right.

You are the contract holder and this sub works for? If that is the case, you would be the first one named, him second weather he has INS or not. It is your responsibility to make sure your subs have the proper ins unless you like holding the bag in the end.

13. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Why is this guy working for you if he doesn't have insurance?? Seems like trouble just waiting to happen to me.

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

What is there to open up on a 1-3" snowfall. You go by and plow 1" of snow from the entrance. How do you guys keep up if it's snowing 1"/hour. Sounds to me like someone was taking advantage of the customer.

15. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

That's what I thought when I read this thread.

Maybe he's one of those "invisible" contractors ? You know, the ones where stuff gets done, but there was never anyone there ?

:popcorn:

16. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

should of used 3-6 as the example......

17. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

1-3...one visit when its over...