1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sub-Contractor or Employee? What would you do.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by FEFMedia, Sep 17, 2009.

1. FEFMedia

FEFMedia Senior Member

First I am new to the site so hello.

Here is my question for you guys.

I have plowed for 3 years. Knock on wood no accidents or brake downs in either trucks I was in. Course driving someone elses truck you need to make sure you give it back the way you found it or better.

I havent plowed in 2 years because my job was paying very well. No need to make the extra money and owner of the last plowing company I worked for sold out.

Last year I picked up a Brand new 08 F350 Diesel. Mostly for towing motorcycles. Now since I got laid off 5 months ago my truck has been sitting or driven here or there. Couple times towing a smaller trailer and the bike. Not like I used too.

Since I am still not working and trying to make sure I land some sort of plowing job for the winter. Should I Buy a plow for the truck or keep looking for a company to take me on as a plow driver and use there truck.

Now, I have the money in savings to buy a Plow outright. I am not struggling for money so to speak. But at the same time I only have money going out and nothing coming in..

Should I invest in a plow and be a SUB or be a employee and drive someone elses truck.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Thanks for the advice a head of time
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

you are going to get paid more in your own truck but then again u break it you buy it as well. also you need to consider how many years do u want to get back into plowing for. if u just want to do it for this year its kind of a waste of an investment to buy a plow in my opion. so if thats the case id look to be an employee, howerver if u want to get back into this for atleast a few years then go buy a plow it will absolutely pay you back hundreds of times. and hey that ford is gonna be around for awhile too and will handle just about any plow u put on her. hope this is useful
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Remember too,if your a sud you need to carry General Liability to protect yourself and you need to bump up your truck insurance to commercial insurance because your plowing for money and personal insurance does not cover it. Just try and find someone to hire you and drive their stuff.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try subbing with your own truck and maybe pick up a few of your own accounts.
  5. FEFMedia

FEFMedia Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess it comes down to seeing how much insurance is going to cost for those few months and if I want to take the chance on having a good season or not. Ug.. not easy thats for sure.. specially when its 72 outside